Alternate To tap Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thething84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Guys and Gals.

New to the site.

Been into fishkeeping for a long time, Had my current setup running for a good 6 years.

Well recently i noticed my nitrAtes are extreamly high, to the extent that they are off my test kits chart. Amonia and NitrItes are zero.

So i though the usual, lots of little water changed to bring it down, and tested my tap water before i started to find that the NitrAtes in my tap wzter are the same. So what can i use as an alternative to tap water which isn't gonna cost me the earth.

Thanks in Advance.

James

Rain water is some of the worst. As rain falls it collects all the pollution in the air (ergo acid rain).

If your tap nitrates are really 'off my test kits chart' I would suggest having a someone else check your water to see if your test kit is bad or contacting your local water municipality. In the US, nitrates in excess of 45 (if I remember correctly) are considered the high water mark for drinkable water.

Your options would be a reverse osmosis unit, or buying RO/DI water at the grocery store. It depends on how big a tank (& how much water you use) as to which is more cost effective.

Using RO water would require you to add back the minerals needed for fish/plants (and also buffering capacity). You can use a commercial mix, or just mix in some of your tap. (Your plants will need some nitrates anyhow.)

If your tap is truly off the scale in nitrates, you might consider getting the RO unit so you can use it for drinking water as well. But I agree with the Captain, check with your water co. (or if you are using a well, have the water professionally tested.) Make sure your test result isn't way off before spending $$.

well i have ordered a new test kit which should hoopefully arive tomorrow, as my test kit was old. although the itrates one is a serperate kit i have, I will re0-test my water when i get the test kit.

Although according to PFK my water is about 45ppm NitrAtes.

That seems high for your own consumption. Here in the US the EPA considers 10 ppm to be the limit for safe drinking water. I hope your test kit is faulty!

That aside, if you do have some nitrate already present in your water, you can increase lighting and other things to cause your plants to suck up every bit of it. That is a nutrient that we often have to dose, even in moderately lit setups, since it is something that happy, healthy growing plants will suck right up.

On the other hand, fish can tolerate a fair amount of nitrate in the water, and if your fish and plants are happy and healthy, then I'd do nothing at all, no matter what the test kit says.

Hi Guys and Gals.

New to the site.

Been into fishkeeping for a long time, Had my current setup running for a good 6 years.

Well recently i noticed my nitrAtes are extreamly high, to the extent that they are off my test kits chart. Amonia and NitrItes are zero.

So i though the usual, lots of little water changed to bring it down, and tested my tap water before i started to find that the NitrAtes in my tap wzter are the same. So what can i use as an alternative to tap water which isn't gonna cost me the earth.

Thanks in Advance.

James

I bought 2 5 gallon bottles at walmart (6.50 a piece), and 5 gal of grocery store RO water at the machine costs me 1.75

Well, there you have it, but you could consider a filter for your personal drinking water supply as well - the kind that attach where your municipal water enters your house.

The fish losses you experience could just be from the drastic difference between the water they are coming from and yours, and a slower-than-usual acclimation, via the drip method, might help with that.

For comparison your water falls within the US guidelines as well. Your results are 45.8 mg/l on average.

Here is the US CDC guidelines for water quality where nitrate is concerned.

From the CDC:

nitrate concentrations can be reported either as nitrate (NO3) or as nitrate-nitrogen (NO3-N). Be sure to know which reporting system is being used since the acceptable concentrations of each are considerably different. If the lab reports its results as nitrate-nitrogen (NO3-N), the drinking water quality standard is 10 milligrams per liter. The standard is 45 milligrams per liter if the results are reported as nitrate (NO3). A milligram per liter (mg/l) is also equal to a part per million (ppm). If you are unsure of how to interpret the report, contact the lab, the local Extension office, or health department. It is important to check the lab report carefully because the two systems of reporting are frequently interchanged.

NASD: Nitrates in Household Water

You need to make sure you compare apples to apples. If you're being reported as NO3 and not NO3-N then your water quality is within US guidelines as well. You just need to know which. I have my guess.. I think you do too.

Back
Top Bottom