Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-26-2017, 09:28 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flchamp89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
There's alot of formulas I've found to convert lumens to par, but they are not fit the aquarium of you know what I mean lol, it's a very complex thing to do which I don't really understand lol, so here's the thing, from what I'm understanding is it's really not lumens it's the rating of Nm, the redd are 630 Nm but should be 660 Nm blues are 445 should be 475 etc etc, I know nothing about light but there are formulas to convert by I haven't found one for led.
Exactly...you need a par meter, rely on manufacturers data, or alot of popular fixtures have had test results done by individuals.
Anyway...wouldn't loose sleep over diatoms. Like snails to me its a good thing. Tank is maturing.
__________________

__________________
flchamp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,053
Something has to be out of balance either to much light, not the right ferts, I never go fully dark when it's lights out I turn the blues on, so I don't know if that's still considered a light cycle so that's why I went full dark going to do it for a few days and see if it helps, as per the thread I linked he sent no blues and after 3 days he had no more brown algae, I could throw otos in there but I am not fond of them
__________________

__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by flchamp89 View Post
Exactly...you need a par meter, rely on manufacturers data, or alot of popular fixtures have had test results done by individuals.
Anyway...wouldn't loose sleep over diatoms. Like snails to me its a good thing. Tank is maturing.
I'm not losing sleep over it, im ocd about my tank and I want my plants lush green not covered in brown algae
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flchamp89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,387
Tank is probably not mature enough to support 3 or more ottos. If you have the pond snails left they will knock it out.

No tank isnt balanced yet. Takes a good while for that to happen.

I get it...im ocd as well but some things are what they are. Silicates are the most common element on earth. Hard to avoid.
__________________
flchamp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:42 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,053
Tanks been set up for over 3 years
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flchamp89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,387
But you've stated before plants are newer. And isn't the fixture too?
__________________
flchamp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,053
No the only plants that are new are the fire leaf, sagitaria, anubias Nana, my amazons, other anubias are about a year, the fixture about 1.5 years
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flchamp89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,387
Diatoms just now showing up? Has sand and rock been in since day one?
__________________
flchamp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,053
Yes they are just now showing up, I just changed my gravel everything else in the tank is at least a year old - the plants i listed (fire leaf,sagitaria and anubias nana)
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:52 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flchamp89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,387
Changing the substrate can do it. Overall the tank looks good. You have to consider. Low par not much macro/micro no co2. I think you said you use some comprehensive. You dont have anything that typically grows super fast.
__________________
flchamp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,053
I did add more root tabs when I put in the new plants as well, my nitrates are about 30
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flchamp89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,387
Root tabs are not likely the issue. Plants would be a more likely cause imo.
__________________
flchamp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:49 PM   #33
AA Member
Community Moderator
 
Delapool's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 15,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potluck View Post
Something has to be out of balance either to much light, not the right ferts, I never go fully dark when it's lights out I turn the blues on, so I don't know if that's still considered a light cycle so that's why I went full dark going to do it for a few days and see if it helps, as per the thread I linked he sent no blues and after 3 days he had no more brown algae, I could throw otos in there but I am not fond of them

I've only lately been thinking about this and my thought is it wouldn't be the blue lights themselves but that as blue light penetrates so well, it is easy to get an excess. Possibly an excess also relative to red light which doesn't penetrate well.

Something I find amazing though is the plants must adapt to the changing light as they grow upwards. Not sure if plant is limited by lowest useable spectrum or different parts of plant use different parts of spectrum.

I have run very high lights for 12 hours and got no brown algae. So high lights by themselves will not set it off (although I'd imagine it could drive an imbalance worse).
__________________
Delapool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flchamp89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
I've only lately been thinking about this and my thought is it wouldn't be the blue lights themselves but that as blue light penetrates so well, it is easy to get an excess. Possibly an excess also relative to red light which doesn't penetrate well.

Something I find amazing though is the plants must adapt to the changing light as they grow upwards. Not sure if plant is limited by lowest useable spectrum or different parts of plant use different parts of spectrum.

I have run very high lights for 12 hours and got no brown algae. So high lights by themselves will not set it off (although I'd imagine it could drive an imbalance worse).
Yes I believe low par is a factor. I believe sand substrate and soft rock would increase severity as well.
__________________
flchamp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:09 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,053
I don't have sand, I have super naturals small pebble, my rock is Texas holey rock
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:32 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Caliban07's Avatar


 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 5,649
Alternative to co2

I had bad diatoms in my first 60L tank with gravel and plastic ornaments. They lasted a few days.

On the flip side many people use cat litter and sand without issues.

One should also be able to induce diatoms readily just by adding sand or clay products such as cat litter but this doesn't happen with enough regularity to make any kind of scientific connection.

Ultimately I'm not sure what causes them.

Edit: My hunch would be swapping out the substrate causing some kind of system imbalance.
__________________
Caliban07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:11 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliban07 View Post
I had bad diatoms in my first 60L tank with gravel and plastic ornaments. They lasted a few days.

On the flip side many people use cat litter and sand without issues.

One should also be able to induce diatoms readily just by adding sand or clay products such as cat litter but this doesn't happen with enough regularity to make any kind of scientific connection.

Ultimately I'm not sure what causes them.

Edit: My hunch would be swapping out the substrate causing some kind of system imbalance.
That's what I'm thinking as well even though I never cycled I did lower my nitrates by removing the big course gravel I did have to a super small pebble substrate, I do have one fake plant which my fish live cause it's provides cover, other than that I have not a clue I just want them gone lol
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:26 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator
 
Autumnsky's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Northern Colorado, USA
Posts: 13,344
Up the pwc frequency and less light, no blue night lights left on over night and lighten feeding for a few days to a week.

Kick up flow by a small/appropriate sized powerhead.

You might also try to up the oxygen.

Likely a combination of the change of substrate needing more pwc due to a mini cycle, higher nitrates and phosphates and need to get the extra stuff in the water out of the tank.

My 2 cents. Also a few doses of Excel as directed.
__________________

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now - 12G Edge nano fish
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Potluck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky View Post
Up the pwc frequency and less light, no blue night lights left on over night and lighten feeding for a few days to a week.

Kick up flow by a small/appropriate sized powerhead.

You might also try to up the oxygen.

Likely a combination of the change of substrate needing more pwc due to a mini cycle, higher nitrates and phosphates and need to get the extra stuff in the water out of the tank.

My 2 cents. Also a few doses of Excel as directed.
I never had a mini cycle from changing the gravel I tested my water twice a day for a week, i have been leaving the blue lights off all together none at night none on with mains, but now I have what looks like white fuzzy cotton growing on a piece of my drift wood, I'll have to take a pic but it brings back bad bad memories because this has happened before and I lost half of my stock when people on here said it was harmless and to just scrape it off. I can't say that's why I lost the fish but it just brings back memories of when I did.

Maybe cause of all the bacteria I added when I changed my gravel I've siphoned this piece of drift wood 4 times now to get 4 pieces off and it just comes back it other places
__________________
Rick
Potluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
flchamp89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,387
Sugars and starches in some wood when submerged create a temporary harmless fungus .
__________________

__________________
flchamp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
co2, native

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alternative co2 supply? Jlira Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 7 11-01-2013 12:59 AM
CO2 injection. Any alternative???! Dreadz Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 4 10-23-2012 06:28 PM
DIY Led 10 gallon build thread/alternative diy co2 thread krap101 DIY Projects 62 09-03-2012 07:29 AM
DIY Co2 - Alternative Diffuser PrettyFishies DIY Projects 5 03-27-2006 10:04 AM
Great online alternative for Illinois people. michealprater Midwest & the Dakotas 5 03-25-2003 04:36 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×