Alternative to dojo loaches?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I got bored today and started figuring out what kind of stocking list I'd put together if I ever have the space for a huge tank (like in the 400+ gallon range). During my research I found out that Dojo Loaches are actually illegal to own in my state (Oregon). I've heard so many good things about their personalities that it's such a shame... Anyone know of any other loaches that have that "eel-ish" look with the fun personality that would be good substitutes?

These are the other fish that I've been toying around with for the stock list:
5 Bala Sharks
6 Geophagus (probably pairs of different types, like Red or Orange Head Tapajos and Surinamensis)
1 Tiger Oscar
1 Datnioides Microlepis
1 Senegal Bichir
1 Black Ghost Knife

I can't be the only one who likes to dream and plan ahead, right ;) ?

Do those have the fun personalities of the loaches too? The personalities were the main reason I loved the idea of the loaches.

Luananeko said:
Do those have the fun personalities of the loaches too? The personalities were the main reason I loved the idea of the loaches.

Well ive only owned a peacock eel..but he was a hoot!! Hahah

Khuli loaches are pretty similar to dojos. They don't get as big as dojos. I've only had dojos and not khulis, but I've heard they're a lot of fun, especially in a big group.

Hmmm, most of the info I'm reading says that all the spiny eel varieties are nocturnal and somewhat shy... I'm thinking I'd go half actinic lighting and floating plants to bring out the colors of the fish without making it too bright, but I'm not sure if that would be dim enough to encourage the eels to be very active in the open during the day. I think I'd prefer something that was busy during the day like loaches.

Khuli loaches are pretty similar to dojos. They don't get as big as dojos. I've only had dojos and not khulis, but I've heard they're a lot of fun, especially in a big group.

Oops, missed this one :)

Kuhli loaches sadly would be snacks for just about any of the other fish I'm thinking of. I'd need something that got at least 6" long.

Oh, gotcha. Even if you did do dojos, they'd never grow fast enough to survive unless you got them full grown and loaches grow really slowly. Maybe a rope fish?

Growth rate isn't too much a concern, I would add the fish at whatever sizes/rates needed to make sure no one became food :) I can't imagine having only the one large tank when I eventually have the space for it, so I would probably have at least one other tank I could grow out the dojo loaches in before sticking them into the big tank. I think the issue is moot though unless the Oregon law allows ownership but not sales of them... I can check.

I'm looking at the rope fish, but there's not much about their personality... Has anyone had one?

Khulis all I got (p.s. Why are they illegal I'm tired and going to bed don't wanna look it up)

Hehe, it's a zombie thread! Thought this thing died ages ago ;)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, kuhli loaches are much too small to go with the other inhabitants I'm thinking of. They would become snacks for the tiger oscar and datniodes super fast. I've decided against rope fish as well since there's pictures all over of tiger oscars eating them like one big worm :( Eels supposedly are really tough to keep alive long term and get really big, so they're out as well. I'll have to stick with the bichir nd ghost knife for my "eel type" fish fill.

Dojo loaches are illegal in Oregon because they are listed as an invasive species here.

Back
Top Bottom