Alternative to neon tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soul-Man22

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, I'm going to be setting up a new tank and I want to know what alternatives I have in a small schooling fish besides a neon tetra that would be easy to care for and very peaceful. It's going to be a 10 gal with aqueon quiet flow 20 a small school of fish and a betta. I have always had neons and am just looking for something different, thanks!

Most any of the tetra family will school for you. Look at Cardinal Tetras

Harlequin rasboras. They seem to glow orange and they school tightly. I love neons, but I love these guys more

+1 to harlequin rasboras, particularly the blue variety. You could also look into celestial pearl danios, emerald rasboras, chili rasboras, ember tetras, dwarf blue eyed rainbows, and so on.

Cardinal tetras, Black Neons, or any of the dwarf rainbows would take up most of the bioload of a 10 gallon, so I'd stick to a smaller schooling fish if you want to keep many other fish. Harlequin Rasbora, Ember Tetras, Phoenix Rasbora, Green Rasbora, and Celestial Pearl Danios are much smaller bioloads and allow for more flexibility for stocking other fish.

+1 to harlequin rasboras, particularly the blue variety. You could also look into celestial pearl danios, emerald rasboras, chili rasboras, ember tetras, dwarf blue eyed rainbows, and so on.

Like this list too, also Glowlight Tetras are really pretty.

What color is the Betta?

Thanks for the options guys, I'm going to go to the LFS an see what they have so I can get a look at some of these fish in the flesh, I really appreciate all the help guys!

What color is the Betta?[/QUOTE]

I didn't get it yet, I'm going to set up the tank in the next few days but I wanted to get some ideas for other fish

Glowlights in my tank hide down in the plants all the time though... so do my neons but not quite as much as the glow lights

I am recently in love with the guppy/endler crosses. I have around 9 (all male) in my 29 and they are great. All over the tank all the time and love hanging out near the top. My tank looked so empty until I got them. They don't have flowy fins like guppies, but I suppose they might be too active to be with a betta in that small of space though... I don't know haven't tried it yet. They certainly make the tank look full though, which tetras never did for me.

What color is the Betta?

I didn't get it yet, I'm going to set up the tank in the next few days but I wanted to get some ideas for other fish[/QUOTE]

Question is so you might make a final decision for the school of fish based on the color of the Betta to compliment it or accent it.

Glowlights in my tank hide down in the plants all the time though... so do my neons but not quite as much as the glow lights
Sometimes depends on if they feel safe, like the other fish in the tank can get cranky with them, or maybe need a few more to strengthen the school
size. Or if there isn't much tall cover plants, or not having a background.

Have fun at the fish store! Remember to double and triple check fish maximum sizes, temperaments, etc!

Sometimes depends on if they feel safe, like the other fish in the tank can get cranky with them, or maybe need a few more to strengthen the school
size. Or if there isn't much tall cover plants, or not having a background.

Have fun at the fish store! Remember to double and triple check fish maximum sizes, temperaments, etc!

Yup, Once I got the guppy endless everyone came out again. It was like...oh they're not getting eaten...perhaps it's safe after all.

Happy shopping. Ditto on those checking max sizes. Fish stores are notorious for fudging those numbers as well as schooling requirements.

Cardinal tetras, Black Neons, or any of the dwarf rainbows would take up most of the bioload of a 10 gallon, so I'd stick to a smaller schooling fish if you want to keep many other fish. Harlequin Rasbora, Ember Tetras, Phoenix Rasbora, Green Rasbora, and Celestial Pearl Danios are much smaller bioloads and allow for more flexibility for stocking other fish.

Agreed, although most of the blue eyed dwarf rainbow species would be fine.

Ember tetras (Hyphessobrycon amandae) are a great choice for a betta tank IME. They stay smaller than most other tetras so they do well in a 10 gallon throughout their lifespan, and they are less nippy than a lot of other species so no need to worry about them nipping at the betta's fins. I'd stock 8-10 of them and the betta and call it a day. They max out at just over an inch. If you see them at the LFS, they usually look really pale and washed out... trust me, this is a beautiful species once you take them home. :)

Just got back from the pet store and I picked up a really nice looking betta! I have been keeping my eyes peeled for an orange one an I found one today! But They didn't have a very good selection of schooling fish. right now I'm getting my 10 gal ready, and am letting the betta acclimate in my 35 gal. Hopefully I will have him in his new home in a day or two!

Back
Top Bottom