Alternative warm-water schooling fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Otherwise known as celestial pearl danios, not a warm water fish, actually quite the opposite..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There a "temperate" fish so they can handle a wide range of temperatures.. Like a non heated room temperature tank up to 28 degrees tropical setup. Google them they will do fine in the OP's tank. Actually...☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

20 gallon high tank. And CPDs would be at the very edge of their temperature preferences at 28C, I wouldn't do it.

oh, thats no fun lol. what type of schooling and aquarium worthy fish do you have up there? maybe you can do something native.
Lots of cool aquarium worthy fish, but the state is very strict about moving live fish and none of them would do well in a tropical tank. Most bodies of water in the state don't get above 70 even in the summer.

Nope, just nope, 82 is far to high for them, they may survive but well out of their comfort zone. 68-76 all day long..
Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Celestial Pearl Danio
Edit, i was a little off..
I agree on the whole, they just wouldn't like the 83F the tank is currently at. I'm looking for fish who would appreciate high temperature like that.

Also, the smaller the better so I can put the largest possible school in a 20 gallon that already has 5 corydoras and 2 rams.

I agree on the whole, they just wouldn't like the 83F the tank is currently at. I'm looking for fish who would appreciate high temperature like that.

Also, the smaller the better so I can put the largest possible school in a 20 gallon that already has 5 corydoras and 2 rams.

May have already.. rummynose tetras, they're doing great in my ram tank, 80-81°, cardinal tetras would work too. Neons are hit or miss, i have 5 that are making it just fine in that tank too.

I second the Threadfin Rainbow suggestion. They love the warmth and have very cool fin flicking displays that add a lot of activity to the upper levels. They're also the best "dither" fish I've had for encouraging Rams to feel confident in their surroundings. Cardinals and other more shy schoolers tend to result in shy Rams that hide a lot.

I second the Threadfin Rainbow suggestion. They love the warmth and have very cool fin flicking displays that add a lot of activity to the upper levels. They're also the best "dither" fish I've had for encouraging Rams to feel confident in their surroundings. Cardinals and other more shy schoolers tend to result in shy Rams that hide a lot.

Excellent point!

Live Aquaria is a bit off on these guys... Check around online. Most profiles list Threadfins' preferred range as 75-86, with their max tolerance range being 72-89 (same as their natural habitat).

Well, a school of 8 threadfins would put me exactly at 100% stocking according to aqadvisor! So that's practically a sign right there.

Nice! I highly recommend them. They're so much fun to watch and get pretty colorful once full grown :)

Live Aquaria is a bit off on these guys... Check around online. Most profiles list Threadfins' preferred range as 75-86, with their max tolerance range being 72-89 (same as their natural habitat).

I also think they're off on on kribs. They say they need fifty

Fishobsessed7

Live aquaria is a solid "go-to" for basic info. So I'd say yesahhh

Hmm I don't think glaring at this post is having the effect I was aiming for. 9 times out of 10 they are quite a ways off on their info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmm I don't think glaring at this post is having the effect I was aiming for. 9 times out of 10 they are quite a ways off on their info.

Well I didn't say it was gospel gillie, sure beats the info on the tanks at petco, one search usually leads to another and another and another.... I'm not discrediting it is all.. it says a fish can live in a ph of 6.0-8.0!! Come on.. can't argue that;)

Well I didn't say it was gospel gillie, sure beats the info on the tanks at petco, one search usually leads to another and another and another.... I'm not discrediting it is all.. it says a fish can live in a ph of 6.0-8.0!! Come on.. can't argue that;)

I know, I just really hate that site. They want 70 bucks a pair for 2 of the most common apisto species you can find, pricing is skewed on many fish and they pass off peruvian scalare as altums, it a just strikes a nerve.

Threadfins are hard to find here in the pine tree state and last I checked the going rate was at an insane $8 a piece!!! Pearl danio, NOT CPD, are pretty common, dirt cheap (.99- 1.19) and gorgeous. Bloodfin tetra, von rio tetra, rummynose (if you can find them), glowlight tetra, zebra/leopard danio, phantom tetra, copelandi tetra, serapae tetra, cherry barb, golden barb, silver tip tetra

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know, I just really hate that site. They want 70 bucks a pair for 2 of the most common apisto species you can find, pricing is skewed on many fish and they pass off peruvian scalare as altums, it a just strikes a nerve.

Yah. I don't even look at the price tags haha, pretty silly in that department..

Back
Top Bottom