Alternative ways to cover filter intake ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimeeBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everybody,

I have two AquaClear 110s on my 75g and I've been purchasing extra filter sponges, cutting them in half, and sticking them on the bottom end of the intake tubes of my filters.

And don't get me wrong, it does work and serve its purpose, BUT after a while, it slows down the flow, it looks ugly and eventually they start falling off.

So does anybody have any alternative suggestions for providing some covering for the filter intake tubes ?

The reason I like to cover them is to keep unnecessary stuff from getting into the filter like food (especially live black worms and brine shrimp).

Any suggestions are appreciated......:thanks:

Unfortunately, this is bound to happen when covering filter intakes with sponges. You could try panty hose or some other type of stocking. I've read about metal intake strainers to help protect fry from getting sucked up and will not clog up like sponges do.

How about the screen from a screen door. It is very flexible, can be cut small, and won't ever deteriorate. Just cut it to the right size and use a rubber band or something else to keep it on.

Unfortunately, this is bound to happen when covering filter intakes with sponges. You could try panty hose or some other type of stocking. I've read about metal intake strainers to help protect fry from getting sucked up and will not clog up like sponges do.

I was thinking the same thing. Whatever that material is for those metal strainers for cooking, probably would work well.

Back
Top Bottom