Alternatives to API Nitrate test?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threnjen

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, I just cannot read this thing. I can't discern any difference on the card from 10-20 or from 40-80 (although I have never been that high). As a very Type-A person I find this quite aggravating. Particularly since I am training myself to maintain the tank for a blue ram and keep it under 20ppm, so it's pretty relevant for me to know if it's at 10 or 20...
I've tried reading it in vary lights and in different ways but I still can't decide what I am seeing.

Are there other test brands with more easily readable differences??

It made me think I have bad color vision to discern oranges and reds so I took an online color perception test and I got a perfect score, so I blame the API test :cool:
(If the test sounds fun it is here)

Tetra nitrate test is excellent, you don't have to shake it so hard because you add the powder separately. But I dont know if the scale is easier to read than API as I've not seen the API scale :)

It looks readable to me

OK, I just cannot read this thing. I can't discern any difference on the card from 10-20 or from 40-80 (although I have never been that high). As a very Type-A person I find this quite aggravating. Particularly since I am training myself to maintain the tank for a blue ram and keep it under 20ppm, so it's pretty relevant for me to know if it's at 10 or 20...
I've tried reading it in vary lights and in different ways but I still can't decide what I am seeing.

Are there other test brands with more easily readable differences??

It made me think I have bad color vision to discern oranges and reds so I took an online color perception test and I got a perfect score, so I blame the API test :cool:
(If the test sounds fun it is here)

Thank goodness it is not just me! I get my daughter to check it and have the colour chart upside down (no idea why that seems to help).

Same here. Really like the API kit but the difference between 40 and 80 ppm isn't noticeable.

red sea may be a good option. However, it takes a long time to react, like 15min........

I am thinking of changing over to API for a faster test

red sea may be a good option. However, it takes a long time to react, like 15min........

I am thinking of changing over to API for a faster test

So what does it matter how long it takes. Would you rather have the right results or the wrong faster results. Also the salifert test which is the one I use is only 5 min.

fast and accurate is always preferred.

Maybe i should check my LFS for salifert after i exhaust my red-sea set.

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations. I really do have to get another test. I like the API brand but I just cannot read this one no matter what light I'm in.

My API nitrate test work well, but you need to shake bottle #2 like hell, as if your life depend of it. You can shock the bottle, shake it, shock it, of all your strengh.

There's a chemical that glue at the bottom of the bottle.

My API nitrate test work well, but you need to shake bottle #2 like hell, as if your life depend of it. You can shock the bottle, shake it, shock it, of all your strengh.

There's a chemical that glue at the bottom of the bottle.

My test works fine, I believe you misunderstood my post. Thank you though for replying.

I guess another thing that narks me with the api liquid test is that my ph is at the high end of the normal ph test and the low end of the high ph test. Hard to confirm ph - at least that's my excuse when hunting for Christmas presents on the aquarium online websites (as you do) and deciding to try a digital ph tester. I must confess an impulse buy.

That's annoying! I'm never quite sure on my pH since it falls between colors, so I just give it a guess. How much was the digital tester?

Er, about $85 Australian. It's not like I'm breeding seriously or anything lol. I was thinking I should check out hardware stores first but it was too late! I have tried the ph colour meters that sit on the tank wall but never quite sure if working.

You must really enjoy testing your pH! ;)

I ordered the Seachem test for now, but I put the Red Sea and Salifert tests on my wish list. They were just mucho expensive...

Also I am a bit crazypants and I ordered a kit of API vials and a test tube holder because I want to be able to keep and log my tests for a while so I can better see the changes in color by having older comparisons.

You must really enjoy testing your pH! ;)

I ordered the Seachem test for now, but I put the Red Sea and Salifert tests on my wish list. They were just mucho expensive...

Also I am a bit crazypants and I ordered a kit of API vials and a test tube holder because I want to be able to keep and log my tests for a while so I can better see the changes in color by having older comparisons.

A test tube holder would be a great idea. A number of times I've collected the tube of water, put it on the top centre glass and gone to get the next tube of water, only to watch the first roll off and sink to the bottom of the tank :(

Just looking at a toxic ammonia alert $20 but I need to do all 3 readings there.

Back
Top Bottom