Alternitive Feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been feeding my fish TetraMin Flake Food but when I got my new German Blue Rams yesterday, the guy advised varied feeding to improve color. Should I get some special cichlid pellets, or vegetables? Help Please!

yeah. i feed mine a mix (not all at once) of blood worms, feeders, flake, pellets, and dried and freezed dried shrimp. any thing i can find to ad to ther diet. not to picky of eaters, and fish will love you :D

Agreed. Great advice trent!

Also, you can try zucchino or cucumber once in a while as a treat.

You quarter the cucumber, and either scoop the seeds out or leave them in, attatch it to a veggie clip and the picnic begins!

With fresh veggies you don't really need to worry about ammonia. I leave mine in there for 12-18 hours. By then, it is almost completely gone anyways. I wouldn't leave it in there anymore than 24 hours though...

I buy zucchini for my fish/algae eaters. I put in a bowl of hot water and throw it in the microwave for 60 seconds. For the fish I remove all the seeds and take off the dark green skin. I then mince it into tiny pieces so they can fit in the fish's mouth. Then drop them in and watch 'em go to town. At first they may not recognize it, but after awhile, they will catch on...

The platies and rams should eat it. Maybe not the first time, but they will get around to it.
I leave the veggies in for 24-36 hours, depending on the tank and who's eating what that day.
I do not recommend feeder fish for rams. Stick with frozen foods, tiny pellets, flake, veggies and algae wafers. Although, that's a lot of food to have sitting around for two fish. You will have to get some more tanks of cichlids!

Here are some pics of my new Magfeeders and some of my zucchini loving fish:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=33329

Back
Top Bottom