Am i able to...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Derek015

Aquarium Advice Activist
Am i able to turn my 29 gal tank into a terrarium to host 2 turtles?

i am not sure if its a possibility cause i can get some little gold fish to be swimmin in the water but 2 big rocks for the turtle to lay on

i want to know if i can cause i just got the idea last night

1 reason why i think i cant do it is because the oxygen flow i dont think it would work too well :?

all help would greatly be appreciated

TY

you can but, the turtle will eat the fish.. you might think the fish are a lot faster than the turtle but some how they always get eaten..
what do you mean
" 1 reason why i think i cant do it is because the oxygen flow i dont think it would work too well "

aren't goldfish cold water fish? and don't turtles require a lot of heat?

I have a 7-8 inch red ear slider in a 30 gallon tank. Tried feeding it feeder fish about 2 months ago...put 2 in and there is still on swimming around. So the turtle might not eat the fish. Turtles are also cold blooded, so it's not necessary to have the water heated. I dont keep a heater in the water for Freddie (my kids named him). However I assume that they would be more active in warmer water.

I dont keep a cover on my turtle tank. I keep about 7-8 inches of water in the tank along with a build up of rocks for him to bask on. Hope this helps ya out on your decision.

Steve

Scooterbug said:
Turtles are also cold blooded, so it's not necessary to have the water heated.
Steve

Don't just assume a cold-blooded animal does not require heat. Trout and Discus are both cold-blooded and have vastly different temperature requirements.

the fact that its cold blooded means it needs heat more than if its warm blooded - it cannot generate its own heat, it requires external sources. thus, sunlight, or a heater - whether in the water or a heat lamp on land, depending on your turtle.

Our turtle has a basking light that stays on for approx 18 hrs a day. I dont heat the water (it stays at room temp). When I change the water (90% every week), I make sure it's a little warm.

Guess I was trying to say that heating the water with a heater is not really neccesary, so keeping goldfish shouldn't be a problem. Not having a water heater wont kill the turtle, however it's metabolism will slow down to compensate due to the colder water. I was assuming that a heating lamp was used, due to turtles needing the right light for a healthy shell.

Steve

JMO but a 29g tank isn't big enough for one turtle, let alone two. What type of turtles are they? (redear slider, painted, stinkpot, map, sideneck, etc) I don't understand the suffocation comment. Turtles come to the surface to breath, they don't rely on the water for thier oxygen needs. Filtration is always a good thing to keep the water clean and from going stagnant but a small underwater filter works great for that.

Yes i plan on a small underwater filter for this

i might fill the tank half way and get some wide pieces of driftwood

honeslty i just thought about the idea im gonna take my time on this one

What type of turtle would you guys recommend for this?

What type of fish?

How expensive can this be?

TIA

*EDIT*

Also if i cant do the turtle im thinking of doing some Blood Parrot cichlids

or a krib tank cause i have read the January 2006 issue of Aquarium Fish Magazine and i really liked the article about the Kribs

Turtles DO need water heated between 70-80F they need a dry basking area with a basking light to heat it about 10 degrees hotter than the water.

A good canister is a must turtles produce a lot of waste so you have to over filter

A 29 gallon tank isnt big enough for 2 turtles. they need at least ten gallons of water per inch of turtle.

goldfish arnt good food for turtles and they probably will be eaten even if the fish is bigger then the turtle they'll still take a bite and that will lead to the death of the fish. Also goldfish produce alot of waste that will increase your filtration needs
in addition to goldfish being coldwater fish so I imagine they wont be happy in warm turtle water.

turtles need a varied diet of heathy greens and veggies, live food, and pelleted food

turtles absolutely MUST have a UVB producing florescent or Mercury vapor bulb
with out this light they cant absorb the calcium from their food.

also with 2 turtles you'll need more than 10 gallons per inch or turtle because they are territorial and will need a buffer area to setup their own territorys.

My Turtle is a 9inch female red-eared slider. she lives in a 120 gallon aquarium with the water filled about 3/4s of the way up
(these turtles are swimmers and need all the water they can get)
I made her basking area by bending a peace of plexi glass so it looks like a flat platform with a ramp (blow torch needed for that) I used plastic hardware cloth and zip tied it to the plexi glass so she can easily climb up to bask.
a regular 60watt house bulb is used to heat her basking area.
a 24inch Exo-terra repti-glo 8.0 positioned over the basking area provides her UVB
I use an acura heater to keep her water warm
my filtration is a Filstar xp3 and a lifetech 828 canister filters.
she eats collard,turnip, and dandelion greens, a little romain as a snack (no nutrition in romain so its used as a treat only) she loves carrots and they provide vitamin A that helps keep her eyes healthy. I use rosy minnows every so often to feed her . and she gets a mix of wardley,repto-min, and mostly exo-terra aquatic turtle diet. I also want to try the aquatic turtle diet from mazuri for her.

as a side note petstores are lying when they say the turtle will only grow to the size of their tank, total myth the only think that stunts them is the improper care they often receive .
when I adopted mine she was 8 and a half inches living in a sludgy 30 gallon tank were she could hardly turn around
I would go for the biggest tank you can afford because buying a small one and upgrading gets expensive.

AshleyNicole said:
how would a turtle suffocate? LMAO.. they breath air.

Actually, it could very easily if it couldn't get to the surface. That is one reason why it is important for the structure in the tank to be sturdy, and also for them to have lots and lots of swimming space.

I agree with others however, that a 29 gallon tank is not a suitable environment for a turtle, unless you plan on upgrading to a 60 gallon or larger tank, more than that if you house more than 1 turtle. You won't find a turtle under 4 inches in diameter in any commercial pet store, due to the the 1975 law prohibiting it, in an effort to reduce salmonella infections. This already, IMHO, is too large for your size tank.

HTH. Kudos for asking questions though before you bought one. 8)

i personally would go fo the kribs, they look pretty cool especially when they are getting ready to breed, im not sure i would get more than i pair. i currently have 3 1 male 2 females, the male already chose one as his mate and the other one, is sol, she mostly has to hide behind behind the filter inlet tube, or a dark corner. im going to be moving her to my 29 gal this weekend.. just my 2 cents//

Back
Top Bottom