Am i cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I had jullii's in another life (well another tank that I had to leave when I moved). I love corys so much, but then again i love all my fish so much!

How are you getting the fish? If they are being shipped and in bags, you have no choice but to add them all at once and watch your parameters.

Anyway, like is said, once you have the bacteria going it usually adjusts upwards pretty easily. Just don't overfeed and do partial water changes as needed.

I guess I'm going to get 4 at once, then the gourami last. I'm getting them from a store; It's about 10 minutes away. Do you think they could handle that? It'd be a shame if one of them died, especially since they like to be in bigger groups. :x

If you test your water daily, don't overfeed, use prime when you change water, and do partial water changes if ammonia or nitrite go above 0, I think the 4 corys will be fine.

Keeping the temp constant on the way home and taking your time acclimating will give your fish the best chance for survival. I've found that an hours acclimation has minimized my losses. Some people say 2 hours, but 1 has worked better for me. If you add a full dose of Prime to your tank water shortly before starting to acclimate, that Prime will neutralize any ammonia in that small volume of water in the bag or other container during acclimation.

If you test your water daily, don't overfeed, use prime when you change water, and do partial water changes if ammonia or nitrite go above 0, I think the 4 corys will be fine.

Keeping the temp constant on the way home and taking your time acclimating will give your fish the best chance for survival. I've found that an hours acclimation has minimized my losses. Some people say 2 hours, but 1 has worked better for me. If you add a full dose of Prime to your tank water shortly before starting to acclimate, that Prime will neutralize any ammonia in that small volume of water in the bag or other container during acclimation.

Okay, thanks! I might be getting them this weekend :)

Keep us posted and if you can, post pictures!

Oh, btw, I have a question: how would you go about acclimating cories? Are they sensitive? I'm planning to do the floating bag method for an hour but I'm not sure if that's enough for the cories to get used to. :)

Oh, btw, I have a question: how would you go about acclimating cories? Are they sensitive? I'm planning to do the floating bag method for an hour but I'm not sure if that's enough for the cories to get used to. :)

Corys are sensitive to certain things. There are many species and they do have different needs coming from different rivers. Generally they like lower temps and do not tolerate heat well. For example I keep tanks with corys in them at 75-76F. You could keep a tank with only corys in it even cooler, like 72-74F. Don't use salt on tanks with corys. Make sure they are getting food and quality food, they don't eat as fast as many fish do. They do not eat garbage and they are omnivores. And like all fish stable parameters and weekly water changes are helpful.

Here is an acclimation guide I like.

Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals

I have used the drip method, but lately I've been doing the add water to the floating bag every few minutes method because my house is too cool and the water cools in the tube too much in the drip method.

You can find a lot about various corys here:

PlanetCatfish • home of aquarium catfishes

Wishing you and your corys a happy life together!

Corys are sensitive to certain things. There are many species and they do have different needs coming from different rivers. Generally they like lower temps and do not tolerate heat well. For example I keep tanks with corys in them at 75-76F. You could keep a tank with only corys in it even cooler, like 72-74F. Don't use salt on tanks with corys. Make sure they are getting food and quality food, they don't eat as fast as many fish do. They do not eat garbage and they are omnivores. And like all fish stable parameters and weekly water changes are helpful.

Here is an acclimation guide I like.

Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals

I have used the drip method, but lately I've been doing the add water to the floating bag every few minutes method because my house is too cool and the water cools in the tube too much in the drip method.

You can find a lot about various corys here:

PlanetCatfish • home of aquarium catfishes

Wishing you and your corys a happy life together!

Thanks for the links! Very helpful :)

I am getting them next week (another delay -_-), and they're going to be false (or 3 lined) julii cories.
I am honestly scared of acclimating them and putting them into a QT because I've read many stories of them dying on the process of it. If the QT I put them in is uncycled, would they be fine; if I did water changes everyday or every other day? Thanks again!

It is a matter or opinion. I have mine in quarantine, but I cycled it using seeded filter material. I still test daily and watch the parameters closely because of course it is not as established as my display tank.

I would put them in the cycled display tank over an uncycled QT. I recently decided to put 3 otos in my display tank and bypass quarantine because the quarantine was new and had no algae for them. I thought their chances were better in the display tank, but in so deciding risked my other fish. It is now past two weeks and my otos and display tank are well, but it is never an easy decision.

I would not put them in an uncycled tank, though with water changes, prime and or zeolite, you could make it work.

I think false julii corys are adorable. If you've observed these fish in the store and they have been there for a while you probably will be alright putting them in your display. After all, it is estimated that only 10% even have QTs so most fish purchased go directly into display tanks.

It is a matter or opinion. I have mine in quarantine, but I cycled it using seeded filter material. I still test daily and watch the parameters closely because of course it is not as established as my display tank.

I would put them in the cycled display tank over an uncycled QT. I recently decided to put 3 otos in my display tank and bypass quarantine because the quarantine was new and had no algae for them. I thought their chances were better in the display tank, but in so deciding risked my other fish. It is now past two weeks and my otos and display tank are well, but it is never an easy decision.

I would not put them in an uncycled tank, though with water changes, prime and or zeolite, you could make it work.

I think false julii corys are adorable. If you've observed these fish in the store and they have been there for a while you probably will be alright putting them in your display. After all, it is estimated that only 10% even have QTs so most fish purchased go directly into display tanks.

Oh, trust me, they are adorable! I think all cories are haha.
It's hard to get ahold of those cories at my lps because once they're in stock, they're gone by the next day or two. But they change stock weekly, every Wednesday so I still have a slight chance of getting them a few days after they restock.
I'm having trouble deciding whether to use a QT or not. I've never seen ich on any of their tanks but I have seen dead fish. And on top of that, my parents are kinda iffy about another tank, lol. At the same time of all of this I know I'm gonna need one. Argh, decisions, decisions. If I do get one though, it's most likely going to be uncycled. :x

All stores have loss. That's just what happens when you have large numbers of stressed fish. I hope you are able to get some soon. Yes, just use your display tank and keep the parents happy, lol. Keep me posted.

All stores have loss. That's just what happens when you have large numbers of stressed fish. I hope you are able to get some soon. Yes, just use your display tank and keep the parents happy, lol. Keep me posted.

Okay! I can't wait to get them lol :)

Back
Top Bottom