Am I just paranoid???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lokismom808

Aquarium Advice Regular
My betta Gizmo recently got Popeye which I think I fixed thanks to the help I got from HUKIT.
But now I'm starting to see all kinds of symptoms and I don't know if I'm just being paranoid or if he really could be sick SO I have posted some pictures of my concerns and would appreciated any comments..I'm seeing ick?, fin rot?, velvet??, and then there's that lump on his body is that constipation????
I hope I'm just paranoid
I have him in a five gallon tank, that has a filter and is heated at about 82 degrees. I tested his water on Thursday and par were pH 7.0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0, the amonia was .05 so I've been doing 25% water changes daily to clear it out and I will be testing again tomorrow.

Attachments

• image-4174199263.jpg
    image-4174199263.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2745504864.jpg
    image-2745504864.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 113
  • image-56671195.jpg
    image-56671195.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 119
It looks like his scales came off on one side but it's hard to tell from the pics. Does he rub against any of the ornaments in the tank? That rock one looks pretty hard, maybe he got injured. I don't think it's velvet (which looks like gold sand) or Ich, though. Is this a new symptom or has he had it for a while? Is the area red at all, does it look infected?

You could try keeping his water very clean and maybe add some aquarium salt for a week or so, see if it helps. Sorry I can't be of more help.

librarygirl said:
It looks like his scales came off on one side but it's hard to tell from the pics. Does he rub against any of the ornaments in the tank? That rock one looks pretty hard, maybe he got injured. I don't think it's velvet (which looks like gold sand) or Ich, though. Is this a new symptom or has he had it for a while? Is the area red at all, does it look infected?

You could try keeping his water very clean and maybe add some aquarium salt for a week or so, see if it helps. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I was thinking maybe he got injured because I think I keep his water pretty clean. He does swim around and rub himself along the filter and the rock so that's why I'm thinking velvet or some parasite. He could be rubbing his scales off .
I have moved him three different times in the past month maybe his immune system is shot from being stressed out. He's been acting funny I'd say for about a week since his last move :(.
I feed him 3 pellets twice a day which sometimes he'll eat or ignore. I've tried freezes dried bloodworms as a treat but he doesn't seem to care for them.
Thank You for your help librarygirl I really appreciate it.

Do you give Gizmo at least 1 day of fasting per week? I would also cut back to 4-5 pellets total per day. I have had a big decrease in issues with my bettas by cutting backj to 5 pellets per day with 2 fast days per week.

Wolfsblood said:
Do you give Gizmo at least 1 day of fasting per week? I would also cut back to 4-5 pellets total per day. I have had a big decrease in issues with my bettas by cutting backj to 5 pellets per day with 2 fast days per week.

I've never tried fasting, but I'm willing to try anything to help my poor little guy. Thanks for the help Wolfsblood , I really appreciate it.
I tested his water again this morning and the ammonia was up to 2.0 ppm :(
I can't understand what is happening??? I did a 50% w/c which brought it down to .50 ppm. The nitrates was up 5.0 ppm and after the w/c went down to 0. I'm totally baffled???? I recently started using a heater in the tank and that's when the problems started could that be the problem??

Oh wow. Im not sure what would cause that. Do you use a gravel vacuum when performing water changes? How big is your tank and how long have you had Gizmo?

Wolfsblood said:
Oh wow. Im not sure what would cause that. Do you use a gravel vacuum when performing water changes? How big is your tank and how long have you had Gizmo?

Yes I vacuum his gravel when I do his water changes which I was doing about 25% every Sunday. He's always so nosey that I have to chase him away. His tank is a 5 gallon and I've had him for about 3 months now.
I used half a tablet of the Jungle fungus clear fizz tabs this afternoon and I bought some Jungle aquarium salt at Walmart today. Will this help him?? He's still hanging around his rock and starring at me because I haven't given him his afternoon pellets....

Wolfsblood said:
When I treat with salt I like to move them to a smaller tank and treat for a couple hours each day. You can do it in his tank just be conservative with the dosing of salt as bettas don't tolerate it exceptionally well. I have had the best luck with betta revive but it seems darn near impossible to get in stores now. Betta Revive Medication - 0.08 oz. - 2.5 mL | ThatPetPlace.com

Will look into getting that, looks like they're out. ?
So with the salt how do you go about it? I also bought a 1/2 gallon betta tank ( if you call that a tank ) that I thought I could use as a hospital tank. So I would add the salt and put him in for how long? And wouldn't trying to catch him and netting him stress him out. He's the only one in his tank so wouldn't it be easier on him just to treat him in his tank. Also do you leave the carbon in your filter when you use the salt?

Wolfsblood said:
When I treat with salt I like to move them to a smaller tank and treat for a couple hours each day. You can do it in his tank just be conservative with the dosing of salt as bettas don't tolerate it exceptionally well. I have had the best luck with betta revive but it seems darn near impossible to get in stores now. Betta Revive Medication - 0.08 oz. - 2.5 mL | ThatPetPlace.com

Sorry I reread your post hehehehe
How much would conservative be.

Back
Top Bottom