Am I overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had 2 Dalmatian Mollies (both female), 2 Fruit Tetras (White Skirt) and 2 Albino Dwarf Cory's in my 10G.

I have 1 male molly (to make the 2:1 ratio, female to male) and 2 more Dwarf Cory's floating in thier bag from the pet store getting used to the water temp.

Is this too many fish or will I be able to add 2 more Fruit Tetra's to give them a better school?

I know the Mollies will get a bit big for a 10G but, they will be in the 20G as soon as I get my bigger tank for my GF.

I think your ok for now but the mollies as you said need to go to other tank once bigger. But for now I think your good

I think your ok for now but the mollies as you said need to go to other tank once bigger. But for now I think your good

Good. Trying to plan out my stock for the 20G since I'm hoping to have a 40G for the goldies in a week or 2. Getting the Mollies out of my 10G will free enough room for a small school of Neon Tetra's :)

You are overstocked. Albino corys are a bit big for 10g. I don't know what you mean by dwarf, most albinos from the pet store are corydoras aeneus (bronze cory) which get 2-3". Mollys are also too large for a 10g, but if you are planning on moving them soon they'll be fine in a temporary setting.

I'm not familiar with fruit tetras unless they are the kind that are injected with dye.

You are overstocked. Albino corys are a bit big for 10g. I don't know what you mean by dwarf, most albinos from the pet store are corydoras aeneus (bronze cory) which get 2-3". Mollys are also too large for a 10g, but if you are planning on moving them soon they'll be fine in a temporary setting.

I'm not familiar with fruit tetras unless they are the kind that are injected with dye.

The cory's I have are about 1 inch in length. When I bought the other 2 today, they were in the tank with the other Dwarf/Pygmy Cory's.

THe Fruit Tetra's are the White Skirts that are dye injected. I didnt know that until after I bought them :( Had I known they inhumanely dyed, I would never have bought them.

They could still be corydoras aeneus albinos, pet stores often get these fish in juvenile sizes. A pic would help to get a positive I.D., but there are no dwarf corys that I know off the top of my head that are retailed in an albino strain.

It's not ideal, but it can work, I would look into a tank upgrade for long term though and go with some actual dwarf corys (hastatus/habrosus/pygmaeus/nanus) in the 10g.

I can't really comment on the dyed fish, I think they should be returned to the store with a few choice words to the pet store manager that allows them to be sold in their establishment.

It's not ideal, but it can work, I would look into a tank upgrade for long term though and go with some actual dwarf corys (hastatus/habrosus/pygmaeus/nanus) in the 10g.

I can't really comment on the dyed fish, I think they should be returned to the store with a few choice words to the pet store manager that allows them to be sold in their establishment.

I tried returning fish to them once before but, the only way they will take them is if they are dead. They were from Walmart.

I figure I will keep them and make sure they stay healthy. They seem happy and completely healthy so far.

Back
Top Bottom