Am I overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegirlzdad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like someone to tell me if I'm overstocked. I havea120 gallon tank and I have the following fish. . . All of them are babies but I realize will get large. . .

3 Bala shark
2 iridescent shark
2 clown loach
1 eclipse catfish
1 albino rainbow shark
1 black ghost knife fish

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For swimming space it doesnt seem overstocked. But lots of times the filtration capacity will determine tank stocking. What filter do you have?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Right now I'd say you're understocked, if you go by the length of those fish as adults you're overstocked.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I concur, plan on moving some of the fish when they start growing larger. I'd be concerned about the Black Ghost Knife as they are delicate and they other are brusers.

Tank Stocking

I would like someone to tell me if I'm overstocked. I havea120 gallon tank and I have the following fish. . . All of them are babies but I realize will get large. . .

3 Bala shark
2 iridescent shark
2 clown loach
1 eclipse catfish
1 albino rainbow shark
1 black ghost knife fish

Hello dad...

Don't fret over whether or not there are too many fish. The more important question is will they get along. Hopefully, they will.

You have the fish, so you need to take good care of the water, that's your job as the water keeper. Hardy plants will help filter the water. Swords, Anubias, Onion, Java fern and Banana plants are all pretty tough and should stand up to aggressive fish. You'll need to change half the tank water every couple weeks if you want the tank to be healthy. I'd look into a python system if you haven't already. You're looking at a 60 gallon water change a couple of times a month, so you'll want to make the process as easy as possible.

B

What is the python system you are talking about, and I don't have any live plants currently. That is something I've never tried. Is it necessary?

Plants arent necessary but they do help keep the water parameters good and they look nice. A python is pretty much a hose that attaches to a sink so you can remove water from the tank and then put fresh water back in a lot easier than with a bucket

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Bala sharks are schooling and need a group greater than 4, the rainbow shark may not be friendly with the other sharks, as they are notorious for being aggressive toward any shark shaped fish.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is the python system you are talking about, and I don't have any live plants currently. That is something I've never tried. Is it necessary?

I have this moss ball that helps with the ammonia in the tank. The fish don't bother it like some live plants, and it really helps! You can get them at PetSmart

How big are the fish now? When they grow up you will be very overstocked. Google aqadvisor.

You have some time before you have to do something about it.

Back
Top Bottom