Am i overstocked? Want some more fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Impulse09

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 29 gallon water parameters are good. I currently have 6 peppered cory catfish, 7 neon tetras, 6 diamond tetras, 4 dwarf neon rainbow fish and a young bristlenose pleco. My filter is a penguin biowheel 250 good for 50 gallons I think. I want to add a couple of platties to my tank.

I wouldn't say overstocked, but you may well be once the fish have time to grow. The diamond tetra and dwarf neon bows get a bit larger than they are given credit for (think bulk vs just length) and need lateral room to swim.

My best recommendation would be to rehome the bows at least and add the platies. I think you have room for the addition if you are proactive on your current stocking. JMO

Overstocked?

Hello Impulse...

Don't rely on your filtration system to keep the water clean. Even over filtering your tank just means it removes the most toxic substances and replaces them with less toxic ones. The old, dirty water has to be removed.

With a well stocked tank like yours, you need to remove a minimum of half the tank water every week, more often won't hurt. By flushing a lot of clean, treated water through your tank, you'll be sure that your filtration system is only filtering water that's already clean and your fish always have a stable environment.

B

Back
Top Bottom