Amano Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackSpadesSI

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've heard great recommendations for Amano shrimp as a clean-up crew. But, I'm curious if they can only clean the ground.

How are they with algae on vertical surfaces, specifically the aquarium walls?

Mine clean anything they can reach. They obviously can't 'stick' to the aquarium walls, but they will get EVERYTHING they can reach.
Get some nerite snails for your aquarium walls

They are very good for your plants, decorations, and gravel and also eating cyano and black beard algae. So thar will help keep it down on the glass but I've never seen them on the glass

Agree 100% with the posters above. I have 6 of them, 1 female 5 males and great to have, they might not appeal to most but I love mine. The even clean my filter intake, busy and very tough shrimp. You'll see if you decide to get them how they even clean your decorations in the finest detail....they even clean my Assassin snails lol!

That's why I really wanted them - they sound great. Unfortunately, more than half of my algae problem is on the acrylic where it sounds like they'd be useless.

If they can climb it they will... When my algae for bad and it was growing on the glass they would climb up it and eat because they had footing from the algae

JackSpadesSI said:
That's why I really wanted them - they sound great. Unfortunately, more than half of my algae problem is on the acrylic where it sounds like they'd be useless.

They're cool to have in general...not just to serve a purpose. I've got a ton of RCS and 3 Amanos in my 46 gallon, and they bring a really unique dimension to the tank. Since they have such a low bio-load, you can get a ton and they will help keep the substrate and plants clean in addition to just being fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom