Amano Shrimp Assassin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've watched amanos fight off kuhlii loaches and a hillstream for food, but from what I can tell yo-yos seem more territorial to the bottom area, and so they may be your assasins.

Amano and other algae eating shrimp are generally sensitive. Kitty Kat's suggestion of checking with the water company is a good idea -- ammonia from a change to chloramine maybe? Has pH fluctuated from CO2 experiments? I lost over 20 shrimp when my tank temp rose from 74-76F to ~85F.

HTH

That you've lost over 20 shrimp was problably caused by the hight temperature. Amanos (I don't know how it is with other shrimps) will get a protein coagulation/clotting and then join the shrimp heaven :lilangel: .

I've watched my tiger barbs grab a ghost shrimp and swim around the tank, being chased by the rest of the barbs like some game of football.

needless to say I don't try to keep any shrimp.

So, what are suggested temps for Amanos?

Also, I had added some (3) blue rams with the amanos, and now they show signs of ich. Could this affect the Amanos much more rapidly than the fish?

I had itch a few times in my old tank and it never affected the amanos at all 8) .
A good temperature would be between 59F/15C-82.5F/28C. Everything from 30C/86F and up will most likely kill them.

Huh, so it's not the suggested temps, not the ich, not nitrates. . . .guess I should call the water company re: Cu!

Just found the 2004 water report online, and here's the copper results:

Highest: 0.297ppm
90th percentile: 0.057ppm
MCLG: 1.3ppm
Possible Source: Corrosion of household plumbing system

In other words, there are measurable amounts all over our city, mostly due to what is probably older pipes. My house is older, so it's possible that there is UP TO 0.297ppm copper, at the very most, in my tank! The question is, is this enough of a concentration to kill amano shrimp? I have nothing to compare with, except a bottle of ich treatment medication I have at home. I'll check it asap when I get home!

Is there any sort of supplement that will bind up the Cu in the tank? I thought there were de-chlorinaters that also removed heavy metals?

My loaches kill ghost shrimp within seconds of them getting into the tank. Both my botia loaches and my clown loaches love to eat them.

Copper = bad. Sorry about ur Amanos. I'd suggest using bottled water of anything like that.

My 6 inch raphael catfish doesn't touch the shrimp for some reason.

At this point I'm still not sure if it was Cu or loaches. I guess the only way to find out is remove the loaches (pain) and try again ($$). thanks for all the advice

Back
Top Bottom