Amano shrimp replacement ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gemach7

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So down to 1 amano shrimp. Not sure of their age when purchased but have been in my tank since 2013 and were full size then. Over this year all but one have died.
I added ghost shrimp to replace them but either the ram, the diamond tetras, or clown plecos decided they were food and down to 2 from the initial 12.
Was wondering if there were other inverts besides amanos that would be as energetic to watch but perhaps more colorful? That might actually survive it's tank mates. Only other inhabitants are sterba corys rasboras and guppies.

Tank is a 55 gallon. Lightly planted aquarium.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1456376728.308384.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When it comes to freshwater shrimp, Amano are generally the larger and stronger vs. other fish (except for the filter feeding shrimp which can get large but are more difficult to take of). For this reason, I wouldn't recommend trying out other shrimp (like red cherry shrimp or expensive caridinas for example) in this setup if your amanos are being taken out.

However, have you considered dwarf crayfish? They're very attractive. CPO crayfish are bright orange and are very peaceful and could hold their own if your Amanos nearly almost able to. Dwarf Cajun Crayfish (cambarellus shufeldti) are also very similar in beauty and demeanor.

I think CPO crayfish have very interesting personalities. They frequently rush to me with their claws up to let me know to stay out of their tank :)lol:)and move around in the open most of the time. Not that I just there watching them... :popcorn:

Let us know what you decide and good luck!

-Kazin

So down to 1 amano shrimp. Not sure of their age when purchased but have been in my tank since 2013 and were full size then. Over this year all but one have died.
I added ghost shrimp to replace them but either the ram, the diamond tetras, or clown plecos decided they were food and down to 2 from the initial 12.
Was wondering if there were other inverts besides amanos that would be as energetic to watch but perhaps more colorful? That might actually survive it's tank mates. Only other inhabitants are sterba corys rasboras and guppies.

Tank is a 55 gallon. Lightly planted aquarium.
View attachment 285072

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom