Amazing what can be accomplished in 3 weeks (75g low tech tank) Pics Inside :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just looking through photos of how the tank started less than 3 weeks ago (it will be 3 weeks on sunday). I am simply amazed on how everything has turned out.

I Just pruned for the second time, and replanted alot of the stems.

here are the pics.

livig room lights on

living room lights off

Very nice! 3 weeks? Wow.
Tell us the plats and the lighting and what are the grassy looking plants?

Fish:
(25) Cardinal Tetra
(2) Golden Rams
(2) Pearl Gourami
(7) Oto Catfish

Inverts:
Ramshorn snails

Plants:
Ludwigia brevipes
Tonina Belem
Anubias nana
Anubias barteri
Crypt wendtti
Rotala rotundifolia
Salvinia natan
Water lettuce
Val, unsure which one
Lace fern
Cabomba
frogbit
duckweed
Water hyacinth
Dwarf Sag

as of 1 week ago i started dosing flourish comprehensive. just regular dose once a week is my plan. and will see how my plants react to it.

the carpeting plant is dwarf sagittaria I have lots of runners that will make this thing super full in the next few weeks i am sure. I have been pruning once a week for it to promote new runners which is how its filling in quickly. I do intend on allowing a bit more length once fully filled in how i want it to be.

The lighting is a 48" finnex planted plus led

I am honestly very amazed at how its doing on such low tech conditions.

No c02 or excel
substrate = inert = Safe-T-Sorb from TSC store. Clay substance.

Some other info, ph is around 6.4-6.6, temp is 79-80, i keep light on roughly 11 hours a day. I don't do w/c often really have only done 1 earlier on because of the cycle but that was like 2 weeks ago.

I do 5g topoffs about once a week. nitrates seem to hold at <5ppm

No need to apologize, I am not perfect. Its through the 3 forums I am apart of that has provided me the info I needed to setup a healthy tank. Google helps too :)

3 weeks... I'm going to got against the herd here... It seems you have done your "own" thing here, conventional wisdom out the window.. Fine, 3 weeks is hardly a mile stone.. Let's see how your doing in 3 months at 6.4, 11 hour a day lighting, no water changes and no excel or co2... It's like the guy running the marathon that sprints off the line and gets way ahead of the pack, looks back and laughs at all the runners behind him.. How does the runner finish the race??? Time shall tell...

I accept the challenge! I don't plan to never do water changes sir, in fact I wanted to do a small one this weekend just for water clarity and added minerals. But like you said (for once I agree) time will tell :)

As I do agree 3 weeks is no huge milestone, you still can't deny that many users have had plants melt and die within days of going in their tank. Also many users have had alot of fish die in the first three weeks of their tank, more than most care to admit. Although its no 1 year anni, its still an accomplishment for someone new to the hobby.

And it should be a good challenge! I have to agree that it is amazing how your tank has developed in just a couple of weeks but I also know that small water changes with 11 hours of lighting can spell algae explosion.
Keep us posted.

I accept the challenge! I don't plan to never do water changes sir, in fact I wanted to do a small one this weekend just for water clarity and added minerals. But like you said (for once I agree) time will tell :) As I do agree 3 weeks is no huge milestone, you still can't deny that many users have had plants melt and die within days of going in their tank. Also many users have had alot of fish die in the first three weeks of their tank, more than most care to admit. Although its no 1 year anni, its still an accomplishment for someone new to the hobby.
like a sir;) ya just from my own experience with a new planted tank.. The first few weeks were the smoothest.. Than comes the algae and the tinkering.. I wish you all the best.. I really do.. It's simply too soon to really gauge success/failure... I've had new plants melt off really bad only to come back and look great!

And it should be a good challenge! I have to agree that it is amazing how your tank has developed in just a couple of weeks but I also know that small water changes with 11 hours of lighting can spell algae explosion.
Keep us posted.

I can easily cut down on lighting, and increase water changes as I see is required. I was simply stating what I HAVE been doing as of the last 3 weeks, not saying it will remain this way forever :)

I can easily cut down on lighting, and increase water changes as I see is required. I was simply stating what I HAVE been doing as of the last 3 weeks, not saying it will remain this way forever :)

Got it, learn as you go. That's basically how I started with my planted tank about a year ago and I still have issues.
You'll find the right balance, lighting, ferts, carbon etc.

Yeah I guess the initial cost is pricey, but when you think about not having to run out and grab bulbs therefore saving time money and gas it makes it see so much more worth it.

not to mention it looks great and small profile above ther tank so with my no lid setup it looks quite nice.

Back
Top Bottom