Amazon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been throwing around the idea of doing a planted tank. I have a 75 gallon reef tank that I love, but if I start another tank I want something completely different.

If I do a planted tank, I would like the fish to be from the Amazon River.
What are some fish that are regularly available that come from this area? The tank will likely be 40-50 gallons.

Red bellied piranha

Rummynose and Cardinal Tetras would be very cool in planted tank. Since your tank is big, you could get a pair of German Blue Rams and a pair of Bolivian Rams. You could also get a group of 6 Cory Cats and some Whiptail Catfish.

Red bellied piranha

awesome fish. but not for 40-50 gallons.

Rummynose and Cardinal Tetras would be very cool in planted tank. Since your tank is big, you could get a pair of German Blue Rams and a pair of Bolivian Rams. You could also get a group of 6 Cory Cats and some Whiptail Catfish.

The rams are very cool. I'll have to look more into whiptail catfish. I love catfish, as fishing is another hobby of mine.

For pairs of rams, do you need to buy them as a pair, or are they hermaphroditic?

It is best to buy the Rams in an even number of female to male rams so that they could pair off and be less territorial. Also, don't get Plecos because they would eat your plants. Oto Catfish are another option

It is best to have the Rams to have an even number of female to male rams so that they could pair off and be less territorial. Also, don't get Plecos because they would eat your plants. Oto Catfish are another option

I've never had a pleco eat a plant yet! If they are fed well, with algae wafers and veggies the main part of their diet, they have no need to eat plants.

I don't keep cichlids myself, but these look like cool little guys you could have a few if you got just one male:
Apistogramma agassizii, Agassiz's dwarf cichlid : aquarium

It is best to buy the Rams in an even number of female to male rams so that they could pair off and be less territorial. Also, don't get Plecos because they would eat your plants. Oto Catfish are another option

Is there sexual dimorphism in cichlids?

I've never had a pleco eat a plant yet! If they are fed well, with algae wafers and veggies the main part of their diet, they have no need to eat plants.

Yeah I've read plecos are primarily algae eaters, but I guess anything is possible with herbivorous fish.

Is there sexual dimorphism in cichlids?

Yeah I've read plecos are primarily algae eaters, but I guess anything is possible with herbivorous fish.

What type of Pleco are you planning to get? Pleco eating live plant!!?? They will never eat live plants unless they are starving to death. They will however, eat dead plant matter. Most cichlids have differences between male and female.

Hatchets are cool, but I know they are jumpers. Will I need a top for the other fish on my list?

Its best to always have a hood for a tank because all fish can jump. I myself have two hatchets but the only time I saw them jump was when I was transporting them from one tank to there current one in a small plastic bowl. I like stock list 2 and 3. But for a 40-50 gal tank, only get plecos that don't grow big.

I don't keep cichlids myself, but these look like cool little guys you could have a few if you got just one male:
http://www.fishbase.org/summary/speciessummary.php?id=26703

Most dwarf cichlids are peaceful but most will enjoy destroying/eating plants. Whenever you keep cichlids, you always have the danger of them attacking live plants especially if they are mating/breeding. They will kill plants for territory when breeding.

Most dwarf cichlids are peaceful but most will enjoy destroying/eating plants. Whenever you keep cichlids, you always have the danger of them attacking live plants especially if they are mating/breeding. They will kill plants for territory when breeding.

Thanks for the heads up. They are definitely not a "must-have" for me and I like to take as few risks as possible!

Revamped stock list options.
Please tell me your thoughts. Which is your favorite or what would you change?

15 cardinal tetras
15 glowlight tetras
5 albino cory cats

17 cardinal tetras
5 albino cory cats
6 hatchets

20 cardinal tetras
5 albino cory cats
1 pleco

22 cardinal tetras
6 hatchets
1 pleco