Amazon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychocircus91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been throwing around the idea of doing a planted tank. I have a 75 gallon reef tank that I love, but if I start another tank I want something completely different.

If I do a planted tank, I would like the fish to be from the Amazon River.
What are some fish that are regularly available that come from this area? The tank will likely be 40-50 gallons.

Ok well I'll just give a few examples.

4-6 angels, 15 neons, 1 BN Pleco, and 6-8 cory cats

8 black skirt tetras, 8 cory cats, 8 hatchet fish, and 2 apistogramma.

5 silver dollars, 1 BN Pleco, and 8 cory cats

6 discus, 10 rummy nose tetras, 6 cory cats

Lots of options! Would you want a lot of smaller fish, or a few larger ones?

I like the thought of a lot of small fish, and a lot of variety. Maybe a couple of larger "centerpiece fish." I know the Amazon Basin has a tonnnn of fish, I just don't know a good way to research which ones are in the pet trade.

Ok well I'll just give a few examples.

4-6 angels, 15 neons, 1 BN Pleco, and 6-8 cory cats

8 black skirt tetras, 8 cory cats, 8 hatchet fish, and 2 apistogramma.

5 silver dollars, 1 BN Pleco, and 8 cory cats

6 discus, 10 rummy nose tetras, 6 cory cats

I like the 1st, and 2nd stocking list. Silver dollars aren't really that special IMO. And discus are really sensitive to water parameters.

Wow I never really knew of Amazon fish besides maybe piranha. (Only because it sounds like a Portuguese name, maybe it's from a totally different South American river or the pantanal basin? Anyone?

My heritage is part Native American from an Amazonian tribe on my fathers fathers side. Funny I own cories and neon tetras and one Betta (native to Thailand I thought?).

Pretty neat list, I've always wanted angels or discus! I have a green, a julii and two little mini cories(forgot name), just got them 2 weeks ago. The Betta and the five neons have lived in a planted 29 since January. I am hosting a pea puffer, where are those from?

Thanks for the ideas. I'll look into all of those fish!

Also, I would get 4 or less angels in a 40-50 gal tank. They can grow very big in a pretty short time. The more neons you have, the better they look. Don't know if its an amazon area fish but I really like harliquin rasboras.

Also, I would get 4 or less angels in a 40-50 gal tank. They can grow very big in a pretty short time. The more neons you have, the better they look. Don't know if its an amazon area fish but I really like harliquin rasboras.

Thanks for the advice. I am not really a fan of crowded tanks with a lot of big fish. I like the look of a lot of plants (or coral in the sw world) with a few fish swimming in and out, and I agree, a large school of neons looks great.

Thanks for the advice. I am not really a fan of crowded tanks with a lot of big fish. I like the look of a lot of plants (or coral in the sw world) with a few fish swimming in and out, and I agree, a large school of neons looks great.

Yeah. I really like heavily planted tanks with small schooling fish with bright colors swimming in and out of the plants. It just looks so comfy to me. Lol

Came home from That pet place today with a few questions.

Are all "sword" plants from the Amazon?
Are all cory cats from the Amazon?
Are glowlight tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus) found in the Amazon?

Came home from That pet place today with a few questions.

Are all "sword" plants from the Amazon?
Are all cory cats from the Amazon?
Are glowlight tetras (Hemigrammus erythrozonus) found in the Amazon?

No, not all swords are in the amazon. I think most cories are in the amazon. Not sure about glow lights. Amazon swords are from amazon ( Lol ).

There are sword plants from different areas like the brazil sword. Cories and glow lights don't all live in the amazon. I believe some cories are found in Peru

Thanks. Looks like glowlights can be found there "Guyana, Essequibo river. Other reports also include the Amazon river system, Rio Sao Francisci and Rio Paraguay"

I think I'm going to go with albino cories, if I do get cories.

Still have a lot to learn about the plants.

Hope I'm not just posting links to sites you've already explored:

YouTube biotopes channel:
YouTube

Few links to websites that offer info and suggestions on Amazon biotopes:

Amazon Biotope Aquarium
Amazon Biotope
South American Blackwater Stream
South American Whitewater River
South American Blackwater Biotope Aquarium Setup

I love aquarium biotopes. They are the ultimate themed aquariums!

Thanks for sharing! I have not seen several of those links. I like the idea of biotopes as well. Very natural to me. My reef tank is a variety of things from all over the world, but I wanted to do this for freshwater.

Potential stock lists. Thoughts?

11 cardinal tetras

9 glowlight tetras
5 albino cory cats

8 cardinal tetrals
8 glowlight tetras
5 albino cory cats
1 pleco

15 cardinal tetras
5 albino cory cats
1 pleco
1 bolivian ram

9 cardinal tetras
9 glowlight tetras
2 plecos
1 bolivian ram

Potential stock lists. Thoughts?

11 cardinal tetras
9 glowlight tetras
5 albino cory cats

8 cardinal tetrals
8 glowlight tetras
5 albino cory cats
1 pleco

15 cardinal tetras
5 albino cory cats
1 pleco
1 bolivian ram

9 cardinal tetras
9 glowlight tetras
2 plecos
1 bolivian ram

I like list 3 especially if it had some hatchet fish in there :)

I just found this:http://fish.mongabay.com/data/ecosystems/Amazon River.htm

But because it doesn't have common names, I have to through it one by one.....

Back
Top Bottom