Amazon fish compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
How does this sound?
A little family of mollies (1 male and 6 females), some cories, a pair of angels, and maybe some silver dollars or something. I also have a pleco, would he be ok in there? I'm still trying to plan what to do with my mollies/cories which will be moved to a 30 gallon standard tank. I'd prefer not to change the water chemistry, but I'm fine with adding salt or a buffer I guess. I just don't want to make a lot of room for error.

So yeah, the question is about stocking a 30 gallon tank which needs to hold 7 mollies and at least 4 cories. Then the other inhabitants can be whatever works with my existing fish. I'm going for an amazon-ish setup since mollies and cories are native to the amazon (I think).

I know Silver Dollars can get rather aggressive, especially in that small of a tank, but it's always up to the individual fish's personality. I like my Sevrum, and he's done well with the community tank I have. 30g might be a bit small for that size fish though.

silver dollars get too big for a 30 and really need to be in a school my silver dollars are incredibly shy and HUGE the size of a coffeecup plate for sure!. You might get away with one angel fish in a 30 for quite sometime and have it grow out nicely and it would help keep the fry population down. Angels also do best in taller tanks rather than longer.. Not too sure how they tolerate salt in the water all the time, but Im sure it would be okay

I personally would proabably up my school of cories to 6 or 7 and then do the molly community.

If your pleco is a bristlenose it will be fine in the 30 but most other plecos get much to large..

I hope I was helpful

P.S. mollies do come from mexico and the sorts...

Thanks for the plecos + salt = bad thing, I'll keep that in mind. I bought mine way before I knew anything about fish and now I have this thing that is going to need a giant tank someday. Hopefully I can sell it before he becomes a major issue.
I like the idea of getting more cories, they rock. One angel would work for me as long as it works for him. Silver dollars...I'll forget that idea. Sevrum look cool, as long as it would be fine individually.
What do mollies usually live with? I like my mollies and all but I feel like a molly community is a bit boring, especially for the cost / setup of a 30 gallon tank. I want the investment to be worth the cool factor, hence wanting to get some other fish. I am really liking the idea of a single angel with a school of mollies and cories though.

yeah, I don't want to bother with the salt anyway. Corries, mollies and an angel or two sounds good to me. Now to start researching angels :p

Back
Top Bottom