American Flagfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omgfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently acquired two male American flagfish from the LFS. I had never even heard of them before but thought they looked pretty neat, and read about how much they love hair algae. They are currently in my 10g quarantine tank. I also have a red glass barb in the tank. In a single night the larger of the two flagfish nipped most of the fins of the barb off. I placed the barb in a separator and added some melafix to the tank. I am now noticing the larger flagfish picking on the smaller flagfish. I am wanting to put these guys in a 75g heavily planted tank that houses 4 congo tetras, 3 rosey barbs, 3 rainbows, 2 golden algae eaters, and a bn pleco. I have read a couple things about flagfish not getting along with fish with frilly fins. I am a little worried about the congo tetras, even though they are quite a bit larger than the flagfish. Does anyone have any experience with these fish in a large planted tank? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks :D

Two males will probably not get along, especially in half of a 10 gallon tank. You should consider replacing one with a female (or add 2-3 females). They are more territorial in smaller tanks so a heavily planted 75 would be a good home. In my experience, flagfish only pick on smaller fish.

Another Flagfish thing - I've heard that once they're out of algae, they'll snack on your plants.

Back
Top Bottom