Amethyist and other Gems in the Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

absolutangel04

Daphnia are People Too.
Ok all, I have a quandry for you. Ever since I was little, I have been a fan of collecting rocks/minerals/fossils ect. I have some very cool pieces that I am thinking about adding to my tanks, but the internet has given me mixed ideas about this. In specific, I am looking at amethyst, jade, and malachite. I am not concerned about the jade at all, but the other 2 have yielded mixed opinions from my research. All pieces have been collected by me and washed properly, so I am not concerned about contaminants. They also don't react to the fizz test, but I read that the iron in the amethyst (which gives it color) may not be good and that some of these rocks can have a surplus of Manganese. Ideas? Experience?

I've never used the ones you've listed, but I have just thrown gems into a tank if they passed the fizz test. I love tiger's eye gems, they look awesome, but eh. I'd try for a month or so in a test tank, maybe QT tank? With a couple of fish and see. If you're getting 50/50 mixed reviews, you can only try yourself.

Yeah, I am thinking I may just leave them in an empty tank and see if it looks like they dissolve. I found info saying the Manganese and iron could be bad, but I don't actually know why it could be bad, so I am still a bit confused. Reviews said the jade would be fine though, and i have some petrified wood I collected, so I am going to go ahead and add those.

Hi Angel! Seems like we haven't seen you in a while :)
The one thing that I can point out is that large amounts of Iron can build up in the fish' internal organs, eventually killing them, but if it is a small rock I don't foresee it as a problem. Iron in an aquarium can also promote algae growth.
Most aquarium fertilizers can contain Manganese and trace amounts of Iron to promote plant growth.
IMO I would try it, monitor your levels, and let us know how it goes. I personally think rocks such as amethyst would look really cool in an aquascape.

Hi Angel! Seems like we haven't seen you in a while :)
The one thing that I can point out is that large amounts of Iron can build up in the fish' internal organs, eventually killing them, but if it is a small rock I don't foresee it as a problem. Iron in an aquarium can also promote algae growth.
Most aquarium fertilizers can contain Manganese and trace amounts of Iron to promote plant growth.
IMO I would try it, monitor your levels, and let us know how it goes. I personally think rocks such as amethyst would look really cool in an aquascape.
I had forgotten about iron in their organs, I was just thinking about the iron in plant ferts. Thanks. I think I am going to try it, the bulk of amethyst is quartz, so it's not like quartz is prone to breaking down quickly. Also, I will stick to lighter colored stones at first since they have less Fe. I found a couple people on a different site who keep amethyst in their tanks and have never had an issue in years. :)

Go for the amethyst the amount of iron in it is negligible.

I WOULD NOT put the malachite in. Malachite is copper carbonate which will release copper into your water and it can affect the ph.

Jade is a common name for either nephrite, a kind of amphibole or jadeite a type of pyroxene. If its the amphibole you should be okay as they are relatively resistant to chemical weathering. I wouldn't put the pyroxene in though.

Go for the amethyst the amount of iron in it is negligible.

I WOULD NOT put the malachite in. Malachite is copper carbonate which will release copper into your water and it can affect the ph.

Jade is a common name for either nephrite, a kind of amphibole or jadeite a type of pyroxene. If its the amphibole you should be okay as they are relatively resistant to chemical weathering. I wouldn't put the pyroxene in though.

Thank you. I did forget to say that I decided not to do the malachite because I figured out the copper part. I was skeptical about that since the beginning anyways because malachite green is used to treat some diseases. Good tip about the jade, I will check into my jade varieties more to see what I have. :)

Back
Top Bottom