ammo lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raymond.1963

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
should i use ammo lock ph 7.4 nitrites 0 nitrates 10 ammo keeps going upto .25 do i kill my mrs for overfeeding or ammo lock what do i do

Do more water changes to take ammonia down, or cut down on feeding. I wouldn't add any chemicals to mess with your levels.

Is the tank cycled?

yep im cycled what is the problem with ammo lock if i use it as that is my only problem what else could go wrong (hyperthetically) i do 10% 3 times a week but for whatever reason i forget my ammo spikes so why not

Chemicals like that aren't reliable, they're only a temporary fix for a long term problem.

If lot of uneaten food is sitting in the filter material, that may be making the problem worse. Be sure to rinse your filter material in tank water that you will then discard (Keep the filter material -- it has most of your beneficial bacteria). Same with uneaten food sitting in the bottom. Do a good vac job. Ammonia at .25 ppm is reason to evaluate, but not reason to panic. If it gets over that it is best handled with a large immediate partial water change (or several if needed). Most water conditioners like Prime when used in the normal recommended amount during PWCs will help temporarily and give your biological filter a chance to catch up, but it is no substitute for the PWC..

BTW, don't kill the mrs., but do teach her the proper amount to feed and explain about the ammonia and the other dangers to the fish of overfeeding. I'd certainly explain to her the difference between nature and our little closed systems in our tanks. My mr. leaves our tank completely to me so I don't have to deal with that issue, lol.

my long term problem is i bury my mrs under the patio or have no fish what may go wrong if i use ammo lock (hyperthetically)

As Fishkeeper26 said: Chemicals like that aren't reliable, they're only a temporary fix for a long term problem.

You will not solve the problem with ammo lock. Basically your are wasting your money on a quick and temporary fix.

sorry GaiiLA dont want to start an argument but the only chemical going into my tank is water with tanksafe in it i do my pwc i have never used ammo lock because i read not to use it but why aparrently it traps my ammo renders it harmless and i have a happy tank why not

P.S. Have you thought about getting little containers or baggies, putting the food in them and letting the mrs. feed one a day? That would let her feed but not overfeed. That would be a solution and give her a buy in. I'm sad to say that if she persists the only real option is no fish. No one can keep a tank where someone else insists on harming the fish. She needs to understand that she is harming and ultimately killing the fish by overfeeding them. It is a matter of education and cooperation. I wish I could invite her to my house for a cup of tea and a little fish talk, woman to woman.

sorry GaiiLA dont want to start an argument but the only chemical going into my tank is water with tanksafe in it i do my pwc i have never used ammo lock because i read not to use it but why aparrently it traps my ammo renders it harmless and i have a happy tank why not

No argument and ultimately what you do is your choice.

when i get up tommorow im going to put my foot down put a lock on my tank and insist i do it myself

You shouldn't use it because it temporarily fixes the ammonia problem, once it wears off it can cause an even higher ammonia spike

Finding a solution to the problem is better than a bandaid fix IMO. Your BB will eventually catch up to the bioload in your tank whether it be high fish load or excess food. I see no need to add anything to a tank that clean water and a little bit of patience will fix.

Have you compared your ammonia test results against distilled water to actually make sure your testing high in ammonia? Some API ammonia test look to be .25ppm but are in fact 0.

The biggest problem with ammo lok, IMHO, is that it doesn't fix the issue, and ultimately can 'un-cycle' your tank. If it's absorbing all the ammonia, where do the nitrifying bacteria get their 'food'? Eventually, they will all die as there's no food source for them. Once you take out the ammo lok, it's time to do a fish-in cycle.

Back
Top Bottom