Ammo strength

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
When doing a fishless cycle, there are posts here recommending the use of 100% ammo, janitorial strength, which "many users here purchase from Ace Hardware".

I searched several stores in the area and could only find 10% strength. The Ace brand, which does say janitorial strength, contains no other ingredients (dyes, detergent, fragrance, etc). So the other 90% is an inert material, presumably water.

I may be wrong, but wouldn't true 100% ammonia probably burn the eyes out of every living creature nearby, and require a HazMat suit?

So, is anyone really dosing with 100% ammo?

When doing a fishless cycle, there are posts here recommending the use of 100% ammo, janitorial strength, which "many users here purchase from Ace Hardware".

I searched several stores in the area and could only find 10% strength. The Ace brand, which does say janitorial strength, contains no other ingredients (dyes, detergent, fragrance, etc). So the other 90% is an inert material, presumably water.

I may be wrong, but wouldn't true 100% ammonia probably burn the eyes out of every living creature nearby, and require a HazMat suit?

I'm pretty sure by 100% they mean 100% pure.

Ac30fan said:

The 10% stuff is the right stuff

It does not what strength you use. Just measure how much it takes for your solution to raise the ammonia by a certain amount in your tank. Then add that amount each tme your ammonia returns to zero

The 100% pure ammonia is a misnomer. At room temperature, pure ammonia is a gas. It combines readily with water to form ammonium hydroxide- the stuff in bottled 'ammonia'. The amount of ammonium hydroxide is your '%', the rest of the bottle is water unless there's additives such as fragrances, dyes, surfectants, etc.

Back
Top Bottom