Ammonia 0..nitrites 0...nitrates 0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JefferyJ

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok so my tank has been cycled for 4 months now...water parameters have been spot on ever since, 0..0..5-20ppm...my fish have been in since its been cycled...i noticed my fish had ich and started treating ot with paragaurd 7 days ago..i chose this way to treat because i have 2 sensitive plecos, and scaless fish/plecos are prone to not do well with quicker/stronger meds...anyways i chose this way and is going well...i noticed a bacterial bloom couple days into treatment, which has since dissapated...water still little cloudy but my chemical filtration is removed since it has to be when treating, so im assuming its cause of that...seachem techs even say its normal..well last few days ive done my testing and all readings are 0, which i know there is suppose to be nitrates of some sort...now some say the readings are cause of the paragaurd and to relax and keep the course...others cant seem to figure it out...one thought is, is that prior to me noticing the ich, i did my normal cleaning...50%wc..gravel vac..and pinky filters and folter floss changed...as well as my chemipure and purigen taken out when i caught the ich...i never knew they say to keep the floss and just rinse out in tank water, well i just throw away and put new in, assuming i have plenty bb...idk if maybe since i did all this stuff around same time i messed up my bb and ongoing cycle? But i feel like the filter floss and pinky floss should always be able to be thrown away and fresh floss put back in filter...what could this 0...0...0 reading be? Ill answer any questions to help figure this out, and thanks in advance!

Tank probably crashed and may have restarted. Although beneficial bacteria may still be in your other stuffs like gravel,decorations etc it may not be enough due to change of filters / bfb have died if washed in tap water. Most of the beneficial bacteria lives in your filter.

Tank probably crashed and may have restarted. Although beneficial bacteria may still be in your other stuffs like gravel,decorations etc it may not be enough due to change of filters / bfb have died if washed in tap water. Most of the beneficial bacteria lives in your filter.

I never wash any of my stuff or rinse any of it in tap water..always tank water

Is it possible that the chemipure and/or Purigen removed the ammonia, thus no nitrite and nitrates?
Im not 100% sure on that..may be a good point tho...i cant add the new purigen or chemipure until after treatment of the ich, which will b 2 more weeks which is fine cause im in no rush, i just dnt wanna do something wrong and take chance of messing anthing more up

And thing is, who just rinses the pinky filters and filter floss off..that filtration gets so full of crap that its not like the sponges u can just squeeze out and rinse in tank water ya know...thats why i change those flosses but again idk..im stumped

If I was gonna change the filter floss, I would make sure I had gobs of filter media besides the floss for beneficial bacteria to grow on. If not asking for a mini cycle and problems every time you change the floss.

All I have in my one filter is filter floss, I squeeze it out just fine, even the same blobs that are a couple years old

20170527_154657.jpgso this is my result when tested today...if my bb is gone wouldnt there be ammonia and nitrites? I havnt done wc in almost a week..i woulda thought they would b high, but regardless lets say i did mess up the bb, how do i know for sure and what steps do i take to get the bb back where needs to be, now that my fish are in tank. Again i dont want to assume i messed anything up with my bb

Could it also be a reaction to the medication im using for ich?

Back
Top Bottom