Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper92

Aquarium Advice Freak
Lately ive been having some ammonia spikes in my tanks, i know i can get a chemical to help but im broke as joke, water changes dont seem to work but so much. What else can i do?

How big are your water changes and are you using tap water?

Usually 20-30% with the occasional 50-60% i do use tap water but i add the dechlorinator and water treatment chemicals as im adding water

Lately ive been having some ammonia spikes in my tanks, i know i can get a chemical to help but im broke as joke, water changes dont seem to work but so much. What else can i do?
I think you can do more water changes, twice a day to keep ammonia down...like a fish-in cycle of a tank.

Try doing a bigger water change, also try using filtered water. How many gallons is your tank?

Just remembered i had a chemical treatment downstairs that slowly removes all the bad stuff out of the water. So PWC's with this added once a day i should have my ammonia under control in the next few days. Thanks for all the help.

Fishkeeper92 said:
Just remembered i had a chemical treatment downstairs that slowly removes all the bad stuff out of the water. So PWC's with this added once a day i should have my ammonia under control in the next few days. Thanks for all the help.

Chemical treatment?
Do pwc daily till you can control.
Do you have any fish?

Yeah what chem. Do you speak of? Pwc.s take everything bad out, and other than water treatment (like prime) its free :)
Adding new water is like opening your window and getting a nice breeze :)

Called AmQuel plus. Reduces bad chemicals by certain amounts when dosed properly, of course normal tank care is needed as well it just helps remove the crap.

Fishkeeper92 said:
Called AmQuel plus. Reduces bad chemicals by certain amounts when dosed properly, of course normal tank care is needed as well it just helps remove the crap.

Amquel plus is the same as prime, i dont have any experience with amquel

I have that..its ok, prime is the best though, it instantly turns ammo into a safe form for your fish, but its still usable by rhe bb in your filter :)

How large of an ammo spike are you having? 0ppm - 0.5+ppm? Are you testing using the API test master kit? If so and your getting these 0.5+ spikes, then IMO ... the first thing to figure out is why your having ammo spikes ... an established tank shouldn't have it.

The only the thing I could think of is ammo in the PWC water (tap i'm assuming), excess fish waste + excess uneaten food, decaying plant / dead stock .. etc.

As for dealing with the ammo .... PWC's and prime as has been mentioned is the best way.

It seems to vary between 0.25 and 0.50 it just kind of decides okay i'll be this bad today ha. Im going to clean the gravel some and change the water here in a bit and test it again( i use the master kit to answer that) hopefully it'll be a little better.

I actually use a plastic syringe for my prime, because you literally only need alittle tiny bit, and eyeing it in the cap seems like I waste a lot...

I use a plastic syringe too. For prime is 1mL for every 10 gallons

Cleaned and did a big water change, added some Amquel plus and let it sit, the fish seem to be doing better already.

@alex yeah that's nuts! Id never eye that out right haha
Also, a water change is never a bad thing, and the fish always love the fresh water :)

Back
Top Bottom