Ammonia...argh!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilly123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone!! I have a 55gal tank with an Oranda and two small telescope eyes. It’s about 2 weeks old and my ammonia levels are unmanageable!! Every two days I am having to do a 50-70% water change to bring it down and even then it only brings it down to between .25ppm and .5ppm. Is there a solution to speed up the nitrogen cycle so I am not having to do so many water changes??!! Any advice much appreciated! (Btw my current ammonia levels are .5ppm after a 60% change.)

When you are doing a fish in cycle you want ammonia around .25 to .50 ppm..... ideally .25 ppm. If you have to change the water frequently to achieve this then that's what you'll have to do until it's cycled.

When you are doing a fish in cycle you want ammonia around .25 to .50 ppm..... ideally .25 ppm. If you have to change the water frequently to achieve this then that's what you'll have to do until it's cycled.

I also have another query (haha sorry), my Oranda has bloody veins in his tail and had for the past 2 weeks. He also is gulping at the surface and swimming around super fast and it looks like he is rubbing himself against the gravel and tank walls. Is this hemorrhagic septicemia or stress from the water? I’m a little worried but I’ll do another water change tomorrow.

What is the pH in your tank?

I'm not sure he has a deadly disease as the one you listed. I'd say a toxin in your water is causing him to swim erratic, gulp for air, rub himself and show signs of discoloration in the fins. In your case it could be from the ammonia in your water over an extended period of time.

I'd check your pH and make sure it's over 7.0. I'd also do a couple more water changes back to back. If you don't have an airstone(s) I'd go get some as soon as possible in case it's also a lack of oxygen.

What water temp are you keeping him in?

What is your nitrite reading?

What is the pH in your tank?

I'm not sure he has a deadly disease as the one you listed. I'd say a toxin in your water is causing him to swim erratic, gulp for air, rub himself and show signs of discoloration in the fins. In your case it could be from the ammonia in your water over an extended period of time.

I'd check your pH and make sure it's over 7.0. I'd also do a couple more water changes back to back. If you don't have an airstone(s) I'd go get some as soon as possible in case it's also a lack of oxygen.

What water temp are you keeping him in?

What is your nitrite reading?

The water is 25 degrees currently as it’s really hot where I live atm. I have an air pump but am getting a new one with a long air stone tomorrow. pH is about 7.5 and my nitrite is 0.

Ya that's pretty warm for a GF. He shouldn't be above 72 degrees Fahrenheit. Warmer the water the less oxygen it has. An airstone cranked up would help. pH is good.

Run a fan on the tank or even across the water surface if possible to lower the temp. If you got money to buy a chiller that would be ideal.

Back
Top Bottom