Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2018, 01:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ammonia burned goldfish and some questions on keeping them

So my kids brought some goldfish home from the fair . It was pretty evident immediately that they were in really bad shape. We lost one about 4 days in and the other one seems to be healing up very well. He hasn't eating anything I've given him other than he really seems to love the wisteria I tossed in for him.
1)Will the surviving GF be able to live a normal life span?
2)Will it be ok by itself or should I get another 1 or 2 comets to go with it?

Currently the fish is in a 36 BF with plenty of cycled material and zero ammonia showing and 20-40 nitrate but that's just my water. I will be working on a pond next summer for them and the turtle the kids also brought home from the fair! Yes my kids turned this year's fair in 1 heck of an expensive endeavor for me. The turtle has already cost me around $100 and we are just getting started with him! At least the goldfish I could properly house with stuff I had in my house! I do believe in giving all of them the best life possible. But goldfish have just never really been my thing so I just don't know that much about them other than they are dirty get huge and really should be in a pond.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're planning a pond then I would just keep the one goldfish for now in the 36. Add some buddies later in the pond.

My son is wanting a turtle so Ill be in that world soon

Old 08-10-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just remember King they can live in some cases 87 year old. So if your son really wants the turtle remind him it's his lol!!!
Old 08-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol. Great.....I'll be bribing him with something else.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Told all my kids they had to take pets with them when they moved out or chose pets with a shorter life span, with lots of research for the pets. Worked out - they picked shorter life span pets, but one, took the cat with her!

As for the GF especially that it is a comet, you will need the pond. Look for pond pets that can get along, like a turtle might eat a GF. Though likely to get big quickly.

The Rosy Minnows are pretty hardy. Mine spawned after a year and a half. Do some reading about them if you end up wanting them to spawn for you. They get odd spawning bumps - looks weird. Rosy color are MUCH easier to see in the pond, and inexpensive. QT them. Food for a turtle and fish to watch.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, burn, fish, gold, goldfish, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com