Ammonia dropping, no sign of nitrite. Please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H_larkin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone! I've been reading the forums here for a while now but it has finally become time to make my first post. After extensive research I bought my first aquarium roughly 3 weeks ago, a new 38 gallon tank. I opted for the fishless cycle, however, I am now worried that I have made a mistake in the process. I initially dosed my ammonia up to 4 ppm and after 9 days it had fallen down to 1 ppm, so I dosed it back up to 4. 6 days later my ammonia readings were back down around 1, so once again I dosed back up to 4 ppm. I have been testing for ammonia and nitrites everyday and have yet to see any sign of nitrite (I am now on day 17). How can this be possible? Where is the ammonia going if it is not being converted into nitrite?

Just some basic information:
-I'm using pure ammonia with no dyes, perfumes, surfactants, etc.
-I'm using a brand new API master test kit.
-I'm using an Aqueon Power Filter 30 (HOB)
-I added filter media from an established tank on day 4 (my LFS was kind enough to donate to my cause)
-My temperature is a constant 84 degrees
-My pH has fluctuated between 7.6 and 8.2 but has never fallen low enough to stall the cycle from what I understand

Where have I gone wrong? have I missed something essential or am I just not being patient enough? I figured after 17 days with pure ammonia, seeding material, and a high temp I would have seen nitrite by now ;( Any and all help/tips/advice is immensely appreciated! Thank you so much!
-Harrison

I'm continuing to boost ammonia up because I have yet to see any nitrite. My understanding is that if I let the ammonia fall to 0, the beneficial bacteria will starve.

H_larkin said:
I'm continuing to boost ammonia up because I have yet to see any nitrite. My understanding is that if I let the ammonia fall to 0, the beneficial bacteria will starve.

Oh okay I see where your coming from.

Have you tested your nitrates? Its possible because you added some cycled media that the ammonia is being directly converted & your just missing the nitrite appearance.

Have you tested your nitrates? Its possible because you added some cycled media that the ammonia is being directly converted & your just missing the nitrite appearance.

Thanks for the reply! Sorry I forgot to mention in the original post that I have tested nitrates. They read at 5, however, that amount of nitrate is present in my tap water to begin with so that can't be it.

Thanks! Ok, when you test for nitrites, is there ever any color change at all (ie, purple to blue)? Or does the test remain the exact same shade of baby/sky blue the entire time (same as the chart with no hint of other color or a darker blue)?

Thanks! Ok, when you test for nitrites, is there ever any color change at all (ie, purple to blue)? Or does the test remain the exact same shade of baby/sky blue the entire time (same as the chart with no hint of other color or a darker blue)?

The reading has only ever been the very light blue color indicating 0. Even when I just finish shaking the tube the color is that light blue evertytime. 5 minutes later and it looks the same.

Hmm... This is a bit odd. This would be my suggestion to rule out the possibility of a faulty test. I can not think of a household/other product off the top of my head that contains nitrite to run a control test on to see if your test is at fault. So, take a sample to your lfs to see what they show- sample now, when you dose ammonia & when it starts to noticeably drop. I know most stores use strips but it will atleast give us an idea if there's an issue with your tests. Let us know the exact results they get.

If there is an issue, API has good customer service & should replace your tests without an issue. If lfs gets the same results as you do, then we will need to figure out what's happening. Any chance you have lots of plants? This would be a simple explanation, too.

No live plants. Fake decor only. I will try to confirm if the testing kit is working as advertised.

So no nitrites again today. Is it possible they are just not showing up on the test yet? Or is giving it more time not going to help?

take some of the tank water in a cup and dilute it, something like 2 parts tank water and 3 parts tap. It could be that the reading is so high that the test isn't registering properly. I've had this happen in the past when doing fishless cycles.

When it get's like that I usually do water changes to get the tank water to where it's readable. I don't know if it does anything but I figure, like ammonia, if you have too much nitrite will do more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom