Ammonia for Cycling the Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
I thought it might be helpful to new aquarists (of which I am still one!) if I posted pictures of what kind of ammonia one should be looking for in order to cycle their tank. This is industrial strength ammonia with no surfactants, scents, coloring, phosphates, or additives of any kind! Hopefully this is okay to post.

Attachments

• Ammonia - 03.jpg
    Ammonia - 03.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Ammonia - 04.jpg
    Ammonia - 04.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Ammonia - 05.jpg
    Ammonia - 05.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 82
  • Ammonia - 06.jpg
    Ammonia - 06.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 96
It would be more helpful if you posted instructions on using an industrial strenght product. There are warnings that come with using a product like that. The cocktail shrimp method is much safer IMO.

I tried the raw shrimp method to cycle my tank and it didn't work. I added some of this exact stuff (after taking forever to find it at Ace Hardware) and the whole cycle took less than two weeks. All I did was figure out how much I had to add to make the ammonia to up 4 ppm (which was 15 mL in a 180G system) and I added that every day until ammonia and nitrite were zero before I added it.

Am I using the right stuff

I dont have an Ace Hardware in my state. Closest on is 12 to 13 miles away. I do have a True Value Hardware store that sells ammonia. I will post some pics but now I am thinking I do not have the right stuff for using it on my Fishless cycling. It is called Blue Ribbon Clear Ammonia.

I shake the bottle and nothing appears, no foam bubbles. No ingredients are listed on the bottle that is why I shook it. Only thing listed on the bottle saying anything is it contains no Phosphates.

I started my fishless cycling on March 13. By March 29 I still had what appeared to be 4 ppm of Ammonia by my eyes and 0 Nitrites. When everyone I talked to said I should have some by now.

On March 30 readings still the same so I did close to a 90% water change. Ammonia level was now around 1.5 to 2 ppm. I slowly brought it back to around 3- 4 ppm. And as of today April 7 I still have the same Ammonia reading and 0 ppm Nitrites.

Bill

P.S. I know I know I purchased a one gallon jug of this ammonia but it was the only size bottle of ammonia they sold.

Attachments

• 001_2.jpg
    001_2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 80
  • 002_1.jpg
    002_1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 003_1.jpg
    003_1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 005_1.jpg
    005_1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 86
It would be more helpful if you posted instructions on using an industrial strenght product.

Well, I have an office job, so I'm not a chemist or anything. But I will try. Do not drink the ammonia. Do not use the ammonia as an eyewash, foot bath product, makeup remover, skin softener, underarm deoderant, or face mask. Do not use the ammonia in your kids' super soakers. Do not put your fish in the ammonia. Do not use the ammonia to make ice cubes. Do not gargle the ammonia. Do not use the ammonia as a lawn product. Do not inhale the ammonia. Do not use the ammonia to give yourself a bad home perm. Do not take your bottle of ammonia on an airplane.

Etc.

There are warnings that come with using a product like that.

Yes. Which anyone who purchases a bottle of ammonia is free to read.

The cocktail shrimp method is much safer IMO.

Were you going to post instructions? ;)

I use the shrimp, a piece of pantyhose filled with seed media and a bottle of Seachem Stability or Nutrafin Cycle method. Haven't had a problem yet.

I just purchased ammonia from Price Chopper, the Price Chopper brand. It doesn't say anything about ingredients except that it has no phosphates. is this ok to use?
oh, and LOL @ twoapennything.

shake it...if it bubbles, its not pure ammonia. Some people have accidentally used ammonia with surfactants with no ill effects, but i would be way too concerned to knowingly use it

I used ammonia with surfactants without any issue. I bought a bottle of "pure" ammonia from Walmart and found it had surfactants after I was halfway through the cycle. I just did a very large water change (90% or so) before stocking. Not really recommending it, but I'd use that same ammonia again since I still have most of the gallon.

I got mine from the dollar store.

I know every time you open the jug you sniff it, dont you?

Back
Top Bottom