Ammonia in city water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

navarrosarah

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I just finished doing all my water tests because its been a while and all my established tanks are testing with ammonia. I just tested my tap water and it is testing at .25 ppm of ammonia. How do I control this in my 6 tanks? Is there something I can run in the filters to keep it under control? Our water here has gotten so very bad, and I am smack dab in the middle of drought central also. Thanks.

Sarah

I honestly wouldnt even worry about 0.25ppm. Doing a 50% water change would only increase the ammonia in your tank to 0.125ppm which i almost guarantee would be cycled out within the hour.

Do you see any evidence of nitrite in your water? If not, I wonder if you're getting a false positive test for ammonia. I don't know why your tap water would contain that much ammonia/ammonium.

Nitrites were zero. I don't know what a false positive is. What would cause that?

Sarah

It's not totally uncommon, especially in rural areas where you can get fertilizer runoff. I live in a fairly rural area and deal with quite a bit of junk in my tap.

I know, but the title of the post says city water. That doesn't mean that urban areas can't be affected, but it's less likely.

Nitrites were zero. I don't know what a false positive is. What would cause that?

Sarah

If you're using a colormetric test, such as the API kit, zero readings of ammonia sometimes have a very slight greenish color that can be interpreted as 0.25 ppm ammonia. If that's what you're seeing, my guess is that it's not real. If you do a large water change and have 0 ppm nitrite 3-6 hours after adding the fresh water, my guess is that there is little or no ammonia in your tap water.

On the other hand, if your ammonia test is giving a very clear and obvious color for ammonia, your tap water probably does contain ammonia (likely as an ammonium salt). Have you tested your tap water for nitrate? If you have ~1 ppm nitrate, your tap water might contain ammonium nitrate (fertilizer).

I will do a nitrate test here in a bit. Our town is considered a city, but we are a very small city in a rural area in Fresno county, CA. They say that the drought is greatly affecting our water supplies but I am not sure in what way. I will do a PWC today or tomorrow and then retest and see what happens.

Sarah

Back
Top Bottom