ammonia in tap water **Tried prime, results ???***

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I decided to do a bigger than normal water change in my 55. I would say I emptied about 30 gallons and as I am refilling, I remember about the ammonia that is in the tap/well water. I just tested it ( the tank) and the ammonia is at .25. The rams seem to be fine, but I am sure this can not be good for them. Does this mean I can only ever do small water changes? If I use mostly RO water (I can not afford an RO system at the moment so that is out) I know this will alter my ph. What to do?? :roll:

Also when I contacted the water company about a year ago, they said there was nothing added to the water. It is well water that is collected in a reservoir and then distributed somehow to the homes in my neighborhood. I asked about the ammonia then and they said they have no idea why I am measuring ammonia coming from the tap.

So they don't add chloramines either? They could cause the ammonia reading, but as I understand it, Prime will take care of that. You probably already know that, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

You could always put some water from the tap into a paid add prime and test it after 24 hours. That way you would know if the tap water had real ammonia or it was due to the chloramines. Just a thought.

Yeah, Prime detoxifies the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate so that its still usable by your biological filter. ALso with that small a reading of ammonia your biological filter should consume it pretty quick.

Prime does 2 things for you. First, it will remove chlorine and chloramine. Second, it will detoxify ammonia til the biofilter removes it. So you are covered. Large PWC's are ok.

Zagz said:
Meredith said:
Zagz said:
You could always put some water from the tap into a paid

At first I thougt WHAT? I can get paid to use Prime? :lol:
I'll try that

OMG ROFL, Christmas party tonight, can you tell I don't proof read when I've had a few? :oops:

I just thought it was some weird Canadian slang that I didn't get. :lol:

Meredith said:
Zagz said:
You could always put some water from the tap into a paid

At first I thougt WHAT? I can get paid to use Prime? :lol:
I'll try that

I see this as an attempt to hide the truth. A freudian slip if you will. Apparently Zagz does recieve a stipend from Seachem to use their product. You can share this bounty...we won't tell anyone else. :wink:

Ok, so I tested the ammonia right from the tap and its between 1.0 and 2.0 ppm. To the same water I tested (from a cup) I added a drop of prime. Tested, and my results were .25ppm. So the prime did not neutralize the ammonia completely but lowered it a bunch. What does this mean? The bottle says to treat for the whole tank when using a python. Does this mean I can now safely do larger water changes or is that .25 still too much? (AND that tiny little bottle treats 1000 gallons!!?? Thats GREAT!)

when you add prime your water may still test positive for ammonia because it is still there. But it makes it in a nontoxic form that is still useable by the biological filter.

That's great that it reduces it by a bunch. You can do larger water changes with sine sense of security now. But still can't get paid for it LOL.

Back
Top Bottom