ammonia is still at 0.5 after 3 50% changes, nitrite is 0.15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The speed up the amount of time? Not necessarily but your good bacteria need ample oxygen to process ammonia & nitrite. So, its always a plus to have extra aeration.

the active filter should be here by the weekend. is it a replacement for the filter in my tank or do I place it in the tank?

With the active filter, you have two options. You can either run it with an airpump in addition to your present filter or you can cut it up & place it in your present filter. Up to you! :)

@lunchbox - I have a Penguin bio wheel 200

@jlk - I have an air pump so I'll use it that way, do I put the hose into the filter and turn it up just enough to push air through it?

bobc4d said:
@lunchbox - I have a Penguin bio wheel 200

@jlk - I have an air pump so I'll use it that way, do I put the hose into the filter and turn it up just enough to push air through it?

Just stick it right next to your current filter pad.

well the active filter came in. I first did a 50% water change, then added the filter then the treated water. I have it bubbling at about 2-3 bubbles per second (bag said at a moderate rate). too much/too little?

I also poured the water the filter came in into the tank.

when will I know it is ummm converted, when the ammonia is zero? should I still do water changes or hold off for a couple of days to check the ammonia/nitrate/nitrite?

once again, I really do appreciate all the help, tips and information on helping me get the ammonia down.

Always add water conditioner before refilling on future water changes. You just need to be a bit patient now. It sometimes takes a few days for the filter to kick into gear. It may not be enough to suppport the total bioload of your tank but it will help seed it with good bacteria & kick your cycle into gear. You will still need to do water changes if your toxin levels spike in the meantime (and any time in the future) to keep your fish healthy. Keep us posted if you have any questions!

by water conditioner, do you mean the dechlorinator or something like Tetra's Easy Balance? is easy balance something to add to the water or stay away from it?

I always add the dechlorinator to the water before dumping in my tank, just in case I get side tracked and forget to add it. :eek:

I thought you meant you dosed dechlor/condit after you filled up your tank! Your fine! I dont think the easy balance product is necessary- all you really need is a good water condit/dechlor and your all set. :)

@scott - yes me too, now I know better thanks to this site.

@jlk - I just took a reading (noon CST - about 19 hours after adding the active filter) and the ammonia looks like it is zero, mostly all yellow using the two bottle drip test, if any at all it is less than 0.25. :D

I noticed my platy's doing a lot of pooping after adding the filter - some of the poop streamers were about 3 1/2 inches long. when I do my water change, should I lightly rake across the gravel to get up any poop?

edit: did a nitrate/nitrite test, the nitrite is 1.0 nitrate is 2.0

Thats great the ammonia is dropping! Your nitrites are on the high side though, so do a water change when you have a chance. You can do a light grav vac to clean up waste just dont go crazy. :)

my nitrites are still up some (0.25-0.5 ppm), I'll keep at the water changes.

two quick questions
how much longer should I keep the active filter going?
when I do water changes should I swirl my tank filter in the removed water or leave it alone for now?

Leave your tank filter alone until your tank is fully cycled unless it becomes so clogged water is not flowing through it- then, a quick swish in some used tank water is all you need. The active filter needs to stay in place for atleast a couple of weeks though you may want to keep it indefinitely. It will be a good future source for esablished media if you need to set another tank or a hospital tank. :)

Hey there, I read the first page and that "deep gravel cleaning" part was intriguing me... Have you considered vacuuming your tank while making the water change?I mean, you gravel would have to be clean... fish poop(sorry), and overfeeding flakes... I know that you are not trying to overfeed ... but it does happen ... fish have business to care of as well... cleaning your gravel every week wouldn't hurt... and why not combining water changes along with it?

Also, when you clean your gravel, don't clean your filter on the same day... you would killing all the good bacteria, as they settle in filter and gravel... I do wed filter, and sat or sun vacuum along with water change... but that's just me.

whew breathing a sigh of relief, my ammonia is still zero and my nitrites are now zero too!! my nitrates are two, I do have plants in the tank

so I just do water checks or should I still do some water changes?

Thats great news!!! The active filter has finally kicked into gear! Ok, for now you should keep checking your numbers daily. Newly cycled tanks can be a bit tempermental & have fluctuations. This will also give you a good idea of how much your nitrates are rising over the course of the week. You will still need to do a water change once a week to drop your nitrates, remove dissolved solids & refresh your buffers. If all is well over the next 2wks, you can reduce your water checks down to once a week (more often if your concerned) just to make sure all is well. :)

Back
Top Bottom