Ammonia issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, you have to ralize that nitrifications is effected by pH. At a pHof 6.5, nitrification is significantly impaired, and it stops at a pH of 6.0, and the bacteria quit growing. So, at a pH of 6.6, it would take longer for your bacteria than in a tank at pH of 7.6. I don't know if your tap water is that low in pH, or if you have intentionally made it that, or if it is a result of few water changes in water that is rather soft and low alkalinity (KH). But if your tap water is a higher pH after standing out all night than your tank, you could help the situation by dowing PWC's to raise the pH, as well as lowering toxins for your fish.

TomK2 said:
Also, you have to ralize that nitrifications is effected by pH. At a pHof 6.5, nitrification is significantly impaired, and it stops at a pH of 6.0, and the bacteria quit growing. So, at a pH of 6.6, it would take longer for your bacteria than in a tank at pH of 7.6. I don't know if your tap water is that low in pH, or if you have intentionally made it that, or if it is a result of few water changes in water that is rather soft and low alkalinity (KH). But if your tap water is a higher pH after standing out all night than your tank, you could help the situation by dowing PWC's to raise the pH, as well as lowering toxins for your fish.

I put the water right in from the faucet, the ph has always been that low, I am not sure why. I will try water changes, I just don't want to be doing too many water changes.

Thanks

Have you checked yout tap pH after sitting out overnight (this lets co2 equilibrate).? It could be different than your tank, and if so, pwc's would likely help keep your pH a bit higher above the level that stalls the bacterial growth/activity. If not, let a glass of water stand open to air overnight and check it tomorrow.

TomK2 said:
Have you checked yout tap pH after sitting out overnight (this lets co2 equilibrate).? It could be different than your tank, and if so, pwc's would likely help keep your pH a bit higher above the level that stalls the bacterial growth/activity. If not, let a glass of water stand open to air overnight and check it tomorrow.

I will try that, thanks

Back
Top Bottom