Ammonia issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justfishin17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm working on cycling my 45 gallon. I had to go out of town for 4 days and when I got back my fish were alive but moving slow. I immediately did a 25% water change but my ammonia levels were still around 1.0. Any suggestions on helping my fish? And how long after adding prime and new water should my fish start acting normal? Thanks!

Prime works nearly straight away and should keep the tank covered for around 24 hours, the fish may take some time to recover if harmed by raised ammonia levels.

See if you can find Tetra Safe Start at your lfs. I've had luck with it, but it's hit or miss for some people. Dr. Tim's One & Only has worked for others as well.

It's always better to do a fishless cycle than to use filter-in-a-bottle type products, though. They don't always work right a way, but they usually speed things up a bit.

Good luck.

David

When you have high ammonia you should do a 50% WC. You can also do another 50% WC 4 hours after the first. Then test your water the next day. You can repeat this process as long as you need or whenever you have a high reading.

Rivercats said:
When you have high ammonia you should do a 50% WC. You can also do another 50% WC 4 hours after the first. Then test your water the next day. You can repeat this process as long as you need or whenever you have a high reading.

Thanks! I did a water change about 40ish % and my fish seem to be doing much better. Tonight (24 hours after first change) I did a second 40% change and they look much better. One of my glo barbs is acting not so great but I did have one die not that long ago that was from the same place as him so I'm worried that they may have gotten something from the fish store. All of my other fish are doing awesome.

Back
Top Bottom