Ammonia level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hyperman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Starting a new thread. Our 29g tank has been set-up since September 2012.
We had a good stocked comunity tank with guppies, swordtails, millies, and platy's and 2 corydora catfish. About 6 weeks ago we started loosing fish. Their stomachs would descend and they would die 3 days later. I have been doing weekly water changes for the past 3 weeks. All at 50%. The tank had an ammonia level between 0 - .25 for the past few weeks. Been doing gravel cleanings and a week ago cleaned the hob filter in tank water. Still seem to have some ammonia. We never had this issue before and there are only 5 fish in the tank now. We feed the catfish 2 times a week and very small nightly feedings for the others. Any suggestions on other things to do to get ammonia to 0? With the big water changes we have stabilized the fish loss but the LFS said that we need to get the ammonia to 0. Not sure that was really the issue with the fish loss, but we are not adding any more until we are sure everything is fine. If the attachment uploaded here is a pic of the latest tests. From left to right; Ammonia, Nitrite, High PH, Nitrate. does the ammonia look 0? always have trouble telling if it's 0 or not.

Attachments

• 100_4756.jpg
    100_4756.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 59
I think the product caled prime will help nutria lose ammonia. If I get a spike in toxins I put a cap full in my 29 gallon after doing a water change. I hope someone can give you some Ideas on what is causing the ammonia spike.

Attachments

• image-2306504734.jpg
    image-2306504734.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 46
We use prime for every water change. Tested tap water and there is no trace of ammonia but has the same high ph as the tank water.

Have you ever noticed damaged tails/fins? How much prime do you use in your water changes? Are you matching water temp when changing the water? Do you disturb the substrate a lot when cleaning? And do you change the filter media at all?

Sorry for all the questions, they just all came to mind at the same time.

No damaged tail/fins. We use the recommended amount which is just over 1/2 cap of prime with each water change. We match the water temp when changing. We do not have a planted tank. We do not change any filter media as the forum says to never do that. We do swish it in tank water when it appears to have quite a bit of heavy matter.

No damaged tail/fins. We use the recommended amount which is just over 1/2 cap of prime with each water change. We match the water temp when changing. We do not have a planted tank. We do not change any filter media as the forum says to never do that. We do swish it in tank water when it appears to have quite a bit of heavy matter.

You said they are getting descended tummy a before they die, that could be internal parasites. Try and get a medicated food and treat them for that.

That was suggested in a different thread I had. I took a sample of water to the LFS and they said to get the ammonia to 0, it was not that high but it appears as though we have stopped the fish loss with several pwc's. We do not have many fish at this time but still are waiting to get 2 weeks with no loss. You suggested medicated food? Where can we purchase that? We did not want to medicate the tank itself, because we are not sure what we have if anything.

That was suggested in a different thread I had. I took a sample of water to the LFS and they said to get the ammonia to 0, it was not that high but it appears as though we have stopped the fish loss with several pwc's. We do not have many fish at this time but still are waiting to get 2 weeks with no loss. You suggested medicated food? Where can we purchase that? We did not want to medicate the tank itself, because we are not sure what we have if anything.

Maybe try a lfs or have a look online for some. I can't recommend a brand as I live in Australia and everything is different here meds wise. I'm sure someone else can recommend an antibiotic food ?

What kind of substrate do you have and how do you clean it? Maybe a build up of waste and un-eaten food is building up in your substrate and causing a spike?

It could also have been a bacterial infection which is fast acting and hard to diagnose. I lost 9 ( at least )fish recently with no symptoms and all water parameters in line. I had recently brought home a betta and failed to quarantine him properly.

After numerous water changes, and salt and heat treatments just in case, my tank has settled back in. I wont make the same mistake again.

So how do I go about doing a salt and heat treatment if we loose any additional fish? We only have 4 fish left in the tank. It seems to have settled out. We have several inches of just gravel that we vacuum every time we do a pwc. I have a aquaclear 50 hob filter

Still not 0

The last few weeks I have been doing a 50% pwc and a gravel cleaning. It's a 29g tank and with less than 4 fish the ammonia still does not register 0. It's somewhere in between 0 and .25. The nitrites are solid 0 and the nitrates are between 5 and 10. The tank was setup last September and was cycled. Not sure why the ammonia is not 0. With such a small number of fish and doing weekly pwc and gravel cleaning, how can it not be 0? I have an Aquaclear 50 hob filter and I see they sell ammonia remover cartridges for it. Should I consider one of them?

I use prime every pwc change. Should I be adding additional prime?

Back
Top Bottom