Ammonia Level?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiffanyjoy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just tested my levels and am having a hard time figuring out what level the ammonia is. Maybe it's because I've been testing so often and I want it to say zero so bad that I just can't tell. Attaching a pic for another set of eyes.?

Sent from my LGL82VL using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1468331076096.jpg
    1468331076096.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 73
.25 is my guess. There is a bit of a green tinge.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

^ agreed. Looks like a hint of greenish tint. It's around 0-0.25ppm

Ok thank you. That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure. It feels like it's going to be forever before I get my fish. ?

Hi there
I would say looks like 0.25
Another way to check between the two is to use a second test tube and put the sign amount RO water in it and add the same amount of drops, hold the two tubes together if they're both not the same it will give you a better idea on how far off you are as the RO one should be pure yellow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's of any help, I hold the test tube about 3" in front of a white card and use a natural light source (near a window is good). Holding the test tube against the card creates shadows and holding so close to the colour strip confuses the eye. After a while you know when yellow is yellow.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok so I tested it again and in another tube tested my well water and they both look the same. I'm not sure if it's poor lighting but they both look like a 0.25....could my well water contain ammonia?

After some googling I just tested some drinking water and the level is a 0.25, I'm thinking my kit is defective. :/

After some googling I just tested some drinking water and the level is a 0.25, I'm thinking my kit is defective. :/

Maybe your kit is right. Our drinking water is pretty bad where we live.

By drinking water I mean spring bottled water

We have well water that we use to fill the aquarium. So I tested the aquarium water, well water and then a bottle of spring water. All 3 were the same.

It's not drinking water or Springwater you need it's purified water ask at your local Fish shop for a small amount of RO water to test alongside your tank water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After ammonia you need to worry about NitrIte! Don't forget to check that, it is easier to see the differences for that one. Very bad / deadly for fish if not immediately can cause illness and end in death.

It is very helpful to test water from the water source like you are doing. I have had .25 ammonia in my tap water (yuck! & more than one time!!! really Yuck!) Before I knew to test it.... And I tested and tested my tank water and couldn't figure out why after so many pwc, I could still have ammonia.

Also as a side note for well water use, you still want to use a water conditioner like Prime for heavy metals which can be found in water naturally or from pollution. Could be deadly for snails and shrimp / inverts.

Back
Top Bottom