Ammonia Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jk623

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 36 gallon aquarium with an Aqueon power filter 30 (200gph). I just completed the fish-in cycle a week ago using 2 zebra danios (new to aquariums and did not know about fishless unfortunately). The cycling took about 7 weeks. My ammonia lvls spiked then settled to zero, nitrites spiked and settled at zero. I tested 4 days straight and got zero for ammonia and nitrite. I had around 20 ppm nitrate. I added 4 zebra danios to my tank after that and everyday since then I have been getting a trace of ammonia (below .25). Is that normal? I havent done a water change yet and the ammonia lvls havent risen any higher than that.

I think that you may just not have enough BB established from the cycle to kill the current bio loads toxins. Do a water change and test water daily. Repeat water changes as needed, hopefully you will develop more BB and the water changes will be less frequent.

An ammo spike can happen after you add stock soon after you just finish cycling. In your case it's a mini cycle, remember you started with just two zebra danios which Don't have a large bio-load to begin with. BB responds to bio-load
So only enough will establish to handle the current ammo levels.
When you added 4 more, you more than doubled the bio-load
So now more bacteria has to establish. Keep up on PWC's and testing, should work itself out soon.

Had the similar problem. After completing the cycle with two neon tetras I went head-on and added six more fishes-- and everything except PH went way off the chart for over three weeks! I guess thats what's coming as a part of experience gathering process :)
I was changing the water every other day until everything set back to normal. Luckily all the fishes survived except one, but she committed suicide so I think that doesn't count...

Thank you ALL for the help!!!! I will continue testing daily and do pwc's as needed.

Senemedar-Lol...luckily only a trace of ammonia is found in my tank! We have definitely learned not to add too many at once haha!!

Patience is virtue, as someone smart said the other day and my fishes had to learn the hard-way :D

Back
Top Bottom