ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spog03

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,
this is the first time I've used a forum so hope it works.
I have 2 established tanks and one which won't stabilise.
It's a 2ft 110ltr planted tank run by a air filter, it has been running with fish for about 3 months. I've been having so much trouble with the ammonia levels. Most readings have been ammonia 1ppm, nitrite 5ppm, nitrate 10. Today's reading ammonia 8ppm, nitrite &nitrate 0. The tank is cloudy, I do water changes every 3 day's. And have used ammonia lock, I know this creates false readings but why are my fish still dying?
Other 2 tanks are fine. If you have any tips please share.

Hey,
this is the first time I've used a forum so hope it works.
I have 2 established tanks and one which won't stabilise.
It's a 2ft 110ltr planted tank run by a air filter, it has been running with fish for about 3 months. I've been having so much trouble with the ammonia levels. Most readings have been ammonia 1ppm, nitrite 5ppm, nitrate 10. Today's reading ammonia 8ppm, nitrite &nitrate 0. The tank is cloudy, I do water changes every 3 day's. And have used ammonia lock, I know this creates false readings but why are my fish still dying?
Other 2 tanks are fine. If you have any tips please share.

I was using ammo lock because my fish store had ran out of ammonia remover. I found a supplier with ammonia remover and BOOM... In two hours my levels were back to normal. That's all I really know because my levels were ammonia:8ppm nitrite:5ppm and nitrate:10ppm.

Do you remember the brand name of the ammonia remover?
My concern (besides my fish dying) is I'm moving house in 2 weeks, I was really hoping to stabilise the tank water before moving so it's less stress on the fish.

My concern (besides my fish dying) is I'm moving house in 2 weeks, I was really hoping to stabilise the tank water before moving so it's less stress on the fish.

It was interpet I think. I added a 50ml dose to a 33g tank. I did 30% water changes daily as well, but they didn't help

Seachem prime will detoxify nitrites as well as the ammonia. You still need to keep up the water changes- if your trites and trates are zero, but you have ammonia then I'm afraid you are cycling again. You don't want to chemically 'remove' the ammonia, because you need it to grow your BB. What you want to do is keep the levels low enough to be safe for your fish (water changes) but not so low your BB have nothing to eat (which is where detoxifying with prime comes in). Sorry about your losses.

Thank you. I use seachem prime with water changes. I do 50% water changes every 2-3days. I use stresscoat once a week to help the fish and ammolock.Is it common for tanks to be so unstable? I never had this trouble with my 60ltr or 160ltr tanks.
Should I stop using the ammolock?
Anyother tips on speeding up this process?

Thank you. I use seachem prime with water changes. I do 50% water changes every 2-3days. I use stresscoat once a week to help the fish and ammolock.Is it common for tanks to be so unstable? I never had this trouble with my 60ltr or 160ltr tanks.
Should I stop using the ammolock?
Anyother tips on speeding up this process?

You don't need to use the ammolock as prime already does that job.
Something has to be destroying your BB-
Is your ph stable?
Do you rinse your filter media in treated water?

I used to have the same problem until I got some moss balls, I highly recommend them to remove ammonia. 1 moss ball per 10 gallons. Took about a week to bring my ammonia back down to 0.

Moss balls can be an expensive remedy to your ammonia problem. If you already have some established tanks I would take some filter media out of one and add it to your cycling tank. Buy a new filter pad for the old tank, cut the old filter pad in half and keep 1 half in the old tank with the new filter pad while putting the other half in the cycling tank.

Using ammonia removing chips would be a good idea imho. It won't ever remove every trace of ammonia in the tank and will give your BB time to reestablish itself.

Have you ever completely changed the filter pads in your filters?

I have java moss in the tank (is that the same) it looks like it's starting to turn Brown. I have already established medium in the filter to help with the BB although it's been close to 4 months now.
I might try using a second filter.
the tank became very cloudy about 2 day's ago and I lost 7 fish. Could the ammonia be causing the cloudyness?
I think I've tried everything, Is it worth Washing everything with tap water & starting again?
I'm desperate for a fix.

I have java moss in the tank (is that the same) it looks like it's starting to turn Brown. I have already established medium in the filter to help with the BB although it's been close to 4 months now.
I might try using a second filter.
the tank became very cloudy about 2 day's ago and I lost 7 fish. Could the ammonia be causing the cloudyness?
I think I've tried everything, Is it worth Washing everything with tap water & starting again?
I'm desperate for a fix.

There's no point starting over as you would still have to go through the stages of the nitrogen cycle.
Give your java moss a bit of a shake- it tends to collect gunk which gives it a brown appearance.
Keep up with thorough gravel vacs, and whatever size water changes it takes to get your ammonia under .25
When you add your second filter, fill it with floss to clear up the cloudiness.
Hang in there, and don't despair!
:)

Back
Top Bottom