Ammonia levels high need help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrew McFadden said:
Did you double check the test? Is the kit outdated? I can't believe the numbers are that high and those fish are looking good and kicking. I'd do at least a 75% water change if it still test that high for now. Then work on getting rid of some of the fish to lower the bio load. When you replace the cartridge do you do both filters at the same time? And how do you wash them?

Yea I usually do both filters at the same time do you think I should them at different times and I'll do another test to see what's up also I'll do a big water change. I'm also about to get rid of the oscars I've had them for a long while and there getting pretty big. You said something about washing the filters should I do that cause I didn't want to keep using the same filters it really sounds the same as new ones if I'm washing it?

Did you say 8.0 PPM? Your fish would probably be dead if that happened. Probably false results and also don't change bio wheel cartridges unless there damaged because that is where the bacteria lives.

moomawkm said:
You only have to rinse them off...filters don't "go bad" they just collect a lot of junk...wash the junk off and you have a "just like new" set of filters...

Carbon goes bad after several days. Well not really bad but for what its designed for it does.

Should rinse in old tank water

Bates1990 said:
Yea I usually do both filters at the same time do you think I should them at different times and I'll do another test to see what's up also I'll do a big water change. I'm also about to get rid of the oscars I've had them for a long while and there getting pretty big. You said something about washing the filters should I do that cause I didn't want to keep using the same filters it really sounds the same as new ones if I'm washing it?

Don't do both filters at the same time do one then in a couple weeks replace the other. BUT NOT NOW lol and don't wash them TILL THIS IS RESOLVED. When you wash them drain the water like you do for a water change in a 5 gallon bucket then just shake the filter around in it. That will not kill off the good bacteria in it.

Ok do you think what kind of water I use matters like water hose or purified water or distilled whats the recommended cause thats expensive

Bates1990 said:
Ok do you think what kind of water I use matters like water hose or purified water or distilled whats the recommended cause thats expensive

confused
Are you talking water change or filters?

If water changes use condtioned water is fine. Washing filters old tank water.

eduguy said:
If water changes use condtioned water is fine. Washing filters old tank water.

+1 to ^^ that

You should use the water you have been using for water change because then your ph will start changing if you don't

eduguy said:
Did you say 8.0 PPM? Your fish would probably be dead if that happened. Probably false results and also don't change bio wheel cartridges unless there damaged because that is where the bacteria lives.

Maybe I'm mistaking but the research I did said the " bio wheel" hold the "bb" and on the filter it says on the lid change change filter cartridge every 2 to 4 weeks. And from what y'all are saying I'm guessing the pet store had my test kit for a while before I bought it. Lol but you can see from the pic it's pretty cloudy. But if I dont need to change the cartridges that often then hell yea cause it's expensive lol. How often should I change them?

Maybe I'm mistaking but the research I did said the " bio wheel" hold the "bb" and on the filter it says on the lid change change filter cartridge every 2 to 4 weeks. And from what y'all are saying I'm guessing the pet store had my test kit for a while before I bought it. Lol but you can see from the pic it's pretty cloudy. But if I dont need to change the cartridges that often then hell yea cause it's expensive lol. How often should I change them?

When its damaged.

Bates1990 said:

Till it falls apart

Bates1990 said:

They are out to make money personally I don't buy any of them I just make reusable inserts :)

How do you make reusable inserts for bio wheels and top fin power filters?

Okay well you guys are all saving me some serious money I didn't know I could do that and thanks for not being to hard on me lol Im learning everyday there's so so so much to fish tanks and I'm having new things happen every week lol so I'm constantly learning more and more

Bates1990 said:
Okay well you guys are all saving me some serious money I didn't know I could do that and thanks for not being to hard on me lol Im learning everyday there's so so so much to fish tanks and I'm having new things happen every week lol so I'm constantly learning more and more

What are you doing get to the water change and your welcome
:) there should be a date on the test bottles

Back
Top Bottom