ammonia levels, when to expect a decrese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish85

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I've had my 10 gal setup for a week. It's running threw its cycling process. I am doing a fish-in-cycle, with 2 platys. I know it hasent been running long and I am doing daily water changes, to keep the ammonia down. But I was wondering how long into the process should I start to see ammonia decrese and nitrites increaseing. I just bought a master test kit, so wen should I start checking for nitrites
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Ph: 6.7
Nitrites: 0.0 ppm
Nitrates: 0.0 ppm

I was asking my self the same thing.
Good topic!
But if even after 4 weeks ammonia still up and no nitrites? Or Im thinking alot? ;p

Cycling can take 6-8 weeks, but as mentioned you might see some movement after a few weeks. The process really speeds along with seeded media or a proper bacteria supplement, I've had a unseeded cycle take nearly 7 weeks before the ammonia started moving.

I'm using all new media, any ideas on how I can seed my filter. I only have a small 2.5 gal aquarium with a beta and a snale, it has a filter but nothing fancy like I got for my new 10, (aqua clear HOB 10-20 gal)

fish85 said:
I'm using all new media, any ideas on how I can seed my filter. I only have a small 2.5 gal aquarium with a beta and a snale, it has a filter but nothing fancy like I got for my new 10, (aqua clear HOB 10-20 gal)

Take some media from your other established tank and put it in your filter. You can take some gravel and put it in the filter (making sure it can't get caught in the impeller or anything) or next to the filter intake.

What i do for this is i put any filter pads stuffed into the new filter pads. Also, for new tanks ill put sand, gravel and the sort into a plastic baggie with some holes. But a pantyhose wwill work much better. Basically thats all you can do, how long was the small betta and snail running, it may just be easier to start fresh. Also those cycle buddies and water additives are crap.

Get a freshwater. Master test kit, it will take time for levels to even put, but when they do its all gravy from there. Lots and lots of water changes is all you need

I have an api master test kit the betta tank is fully cycled and has been running for about 7 months. I've taken rocks from my beta setup an put them into my filter that Im trying to cycle now all I can do is wait and water change. Thanks to everyones input

Back
Top Bottom