Ammonia NitrIte test results...need opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwatergal

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ammonia: .5 to 1.0 ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm

I know I should be worried about any kind of amonia in my tank. Should I just do a water change, or add some ammo-lock 2?

tyia for info

You'll find many of us here don't use Ammolock or any of those ammonia removing/converting products. The nitrifying bacteria need that ammonia to feed on, and removing it completely, or converting it slows down the growth of the colonies. .5 - 1.0 is borderline dangerous IMHO; I'd do a 30%- 50% water change and keep an eye on the levels. .25 is usually a safe level. It will leave enough ammonia for the bacteria to feed on, but not so much that the fish will be in danger. And don't do a gravel vac yet; a goodly portion of the bacteria are living in there (unless you over feed, in which you'll need to vaccum up some of the extra rotting food).

Is this a newly set-up tank still going through a cycling period- or is it an established system? Ammonia in a new tank is expected, although it does need to be dealt with. If the aquarium has been running for an extended period of time and you're finding levels of ammonia/nitrites present, something isn't right-- i.e. overcrowding, overfeeding, inadequate filtration, etc.

Whatever the case may be, I'd suggest water changes to remove the excess build up rather than adding Ammo Lock. You'll often find "false positive" test readings when using it and you won't be able to accurately determine what is going on in your tank. Test the water after each water change until you get the levels down; just make sure not to change too much water at once.

It's a tank that has been set up for a little over a week now. I did add bio-spira yesterday, so maybe that has something to do with it. I won't add any ammo-lock. I will do a 20% water change today, and wait until tomorrow to see where I am.

FWgal: I used biospira to take care of a small spike I had after moving my tank and taking out my UGF. Overnight, it took care of the nitrites, but it took a little while to build up enough bacteria to take care of the ammonia. I have a feeling that biospira works perfectly when starting from 0 ammonia, but takes a while to catch up to an established amount of ammonia. Still, a lot faster than just letting nature take its course with my ammonia spike!

I think you're on the right track. Just keep an eye on everything, and keep changing water to keep the fish comfortable. I wouldn't vacuum the gravel though to let the bacteria you introduced to have a chance to latch on.

HTH - and good luck!

Tigerlily is exactly right: Bio-Spira is made to be added WITH fish- although it can be added later on. It will take time for the bacteria to "catch up" with the ammonia already in the water, however. I'd do a daily water change to help further reduce the ammonia levels (thus reducing stress for the fish) and continue to test. Good luck! :D

Back
Top Bottom