Ammonia problem!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fertilizer run off will hit the water table or filter through the sewer system --- some sewer run off (depending on your water authority) may make it to an actual water source i.e. creek or stream. That effects the natural environment -- to much ferts is not good for mother nature. BUT -- your drinking water is coming from a water treatment plant that monitors **** near everything in your water. With that being said -- there is always a but! -- 1 ppm of Ammonia in drinking water does not have a harmful effect to human ingestion! So your water authority may not care about the rise Ammonia. If it were me I would treat with Prime as if you were treating the whole tank not just the pwc, i.e. if it is a 55 gal tank and you are doing a 50% pwc then treat the whole 55 gal and not just 30 gal you are changing. And last but not least I believe you can over treat with Prime -- I don't have any in front of me but you could check the web site -- I am sure I have read that somewhere.

I realize this thread is very old, but I wanted to make an update on the situation. The cause of the increased ammonia readings is the result of my local water source switching to chloramine from chlorine. I've since started to add more Prime and am in the process of saving up for a RO/DI setup.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom