Ammonia problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FwA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a good friend with a 6ft tank. He has 10 discus in it and they all seem pretty happy, colorful and healthy. Also 2 bristlenose also growing healthy. (he has lost 2 bristlenose and 1 discus recently though)
One problem. He has an ammonia problem he can't get under control. For over two months now. So I said I'd post here for suggestions and ideas for him.
He has temp at 29celcius. ph at 6.5. Hardness 70ppm. Nitrite and nitrate are good but ammonia is off the chart.
He has tried almost everything we could come up with.
Newer, larger filtration system (a proper sump) and even waited for it to fully establish bacteria cultures, assorted medicines, ammo lock, removed half his substrate (very fine sandy gravel) to make a thinner layer for easier cleaning. Added extra filters. Gave him some of my established filter medium straight from my filter - as my ammonia is perfect :)
Water changed daily for two months. tried several different brands of ammonia test and changed all brands of usual chemicals. Tried so many different things I hope I listed enough. Lol.
He is almost ready to give up on the tank. :(
Any last ideas?

Have you tried testing the tap water? Try the tests with bottled water to see what zero looks like, too.

Yea we have unfortunately. It goes into his tank as 0. Then we test an hour later and his tank drops .2. Then next morning back to off chart again.
We used the same test kits on my tanks too. My tanks read normal. So tests were fine.
Could something in his water conflict with the testing process at all? If so what? Only idea we have left. Lol

Hmm... If the ammonia is off the charts, have you tried a dilution test in the test tube? Fill the tube halfway with bottled or tap water and half with tank water and see what the results are. If still off the chart, increase the ratio of tap water until you see a drop. If you need 90% tap to get a reading that is readable it will take a 90% change to see that reading for the tank, and multiple large changes will be needed to get it to a safe level. If the levels in the tank are truly that high, though, I would think all the fish would be dead... Although if no ammonia is being converted that would also explain the zero nitrates. Hmm, this really is a puzzle. One more idea - does he use a chemical to reduce his ph, or any other chemical beside dechlorinator? Perhaps you can make up a solution of each of these chemicals separately, just one chemical and tap water, and test each. Perhaps one of them is responsible for the high reading.

We have tried to latter options already but I like the 90% tap water idea. Makes sense and havnt tried that yet.
But I still doubt that anything will change as he has changed 30-50% daily for two months and it hasn't dropped even a little :(
Anything is worth a shot at this point though

Is there perhaps a dead/rotting fish somewhere unseen? Or any unnatural/non-aquarium-use decorations in the tank?

that sounds weird because like what mumma said if it were off the charts it seems like the fish would be dead, especially discus which i have heard are extremely elicate

if the discus are happy and healthy, it could be a problem a problem with the test kit.

I know there is a nessler test kit and Salicylate test kits (2-bottle kit from API).
I know if you use ammonia-locking products e.g. ammo-lock, it will mess up the reading.

what water conditioner are you using?
I recommend PRIME from seachem. You will never have problems with your water again.

Sorry for delayed reply. had my teeth out yesterday :(
Ok ill try answer everyones questions.
Filter media change once a month or there abouts.
The dead fish idea i already had. Good one but no luck there. Decor is minimal, 2 piece of driftwood and exact same fake plants as I use.
The test kits tried were API and Aquasonic. But as I said, both worked fine with my tanks (I have 5 all up)
I also bought my own API test which works fine but same ammonia reading in his tank.
I thought if it was truly that high his fish would not be alive either, but it keeps showing off the charts so the ammo lock sounds more like the prob if your saying it conflicts with the reading. I should be catching up with him today. Havnt seen him since before I posted this. So will pass on all ideas and suggestions to him and keep u updated.
Any more suggestions still appreciated.
Thanks to all who have replied :)

So he keep changing filter media? That could be the problem!! Every time the bacteria builds up its removed and it has to start again. Leave the filter alone and if it gets clogged, swish it in a bucket if tank water. Never do a straight swap. If you add new media you have to keep the old stuff in the filter for 2-4 weeks to seed the new.

He does. Sorry I should have been more specific. He replaces half of it every month.
His new sump hasn't been touched yet though. He leaving that alone completely for now (and yes he has kept an old filter running while the sump completely establishes bacteria colonies)

Back
Top Bottom