Ammonia problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fredje

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I upgraded on Sunday from a 50l/13g tank (of which lid and lights got broken by cleaning lady...) to a 2nd hand Juwel Rio 180 (180l/50g).
Kept the filter of both aquaria submerged in tank water during the transition. and installed both filters in the new aquarium to have maximum amount of bacteria.

On Monday NH4 and NO2 were 0, NO3 was 20ppm.
Today, NH4 was 0.75ppm, NO2 0 and NO3 still about 20ppm.

I changed 1/3 of the water today, but after measuring about 5 hours later NH4 seems to be at the same level. I notice some fish are swimming more frequently at higher levels and where bubbles and filter are.

Tank contents:
- 6 plants
- 1 shark catfish (yes too big for tank but came with tank...)
- 1 red tail black shark (ditto)
- 1 red phantom tetra (ditto)
- 4 gold dust mollies and 7 or so babies
- 5 neons
- 1 hillstream loach (sewellia linoleata)

One of my mistakes was feeding the fish bloodworms for the first time but obviously gave them too many as a lot remained on the bottom (though this AM they were gone), I think that contributed to the problem.

What would you recommend I do, apart from changing water every day until the problem is gone?

Actually doing the WC's is the best thing. I'd do a 50% wait 4 hours and do another 50% to get the ammonia down to at least .25 or lower. Also skip a day of feeding and feed lightly.

Congrats on the bigger tank! When I did a fish IN cycle on my 46g I did 50%+ water changes & my water changes averaged about every 3 days. So my suggestion is to do at least a 50% water change, test the water again (as you have) & do another 50% water change in the same day to get the ammonia as close to 0 as possible. Larger water changes will lower the toxins in the water more which hopefully translates in to it taking longer for them build back up. Make sense?

Thanks! Will do another large water change tonight then. Do I already need to look into ammonia neutralising products at this point?

This is the first time I've had a water quality problem and I'm still hopeful enough bacteria were preserved in the filters to get their numbers up soon enough.

The seeded filter will help alot and pretty quick. I wouldn't do any ammonia products, just plain ole water changes are your best bet.

I'd do a good gravel vacuum to on at least half the floor (if u have gravel) there should be enough poop, and urine to kick start the nitrogen cycle, uneaten food is an unnecessary factor.

Also I would use some Seachem Stability while your new tank is settling in.

You moved both filters, but remember, all surface areas in a mature tank have beneficial bacteria on it, including the gravel, and that's something you may not have transferred to your new tank. It sounds like you might be in the UK. If so, see if you can find Tetra Safestart.

I wouldn't gravel vac just yet. Give your bacteria a chance to colonize the surface of the gravel.

David

Ammonia level this AM back to 0, NO2 0 and NO3 10-15ppm.

Looks like the problem is under control (for now), but will keep doing PWC every day this week anyway.

Thanks for all your help (y)

The WC's won't hurt plus it will make sure your nitrates don't get any higher. You always want your nitrates to be 20 or lower.

Thanks RC.
I'm also looking for a new home for the catfish shark (see picture) that came with the 2nd hand tank.
It doesn't seem unhappy but it's already too big and will grow even further.

Attachments

• Tank.jpg
    Tank.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 74
Thanks RC.
I'm also looking for a new home for the catfish shark (see picture) that came with the 2nd hand tank.
It doesn't seem unhappy but it's already too big and will grow even further.

It is definitely alot bigger than the rest of the tankmates. You could also try calling your LFS's and see if they will take him. Often times they will take fish and give you store credit.

Yaay found a new home for my catshark, a large indoor pond of a bank HQ where there are many more of them :)

Back
Top Bottom