Ammonia Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbirath001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I have a problem with the ammonia levels in my tank. I keep getting between 1.0 and 2.0. I have been doing 25% water changes each day and still having an issue. Today I am going to only feed them once. I read that over feeding can contribute to it. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!!!!

Hey guys I have a problem with the ammonia levels in my tank. I keep getting between 1.0 and 2.0. I have been doing 25% water changes each day and still having an issue. Today I am going to only feed them once. I read that over feeding can contribute to it. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!!!!

Let the questions begin! :)

1. Is the tank cycled?
2. What size tank?
3. What kind of fish?
4. What test kit do you use?

As said, the question's asked previously are for a base analysis. Also,:

-Do you Vacuum the Gravel/Sand?

-What Filtration do you use(And what type of Media)

I believe it has cycled yes.
60 gallon
Cichlids
API master test kit.

:)
-If you are having ammonia this high, I wouldn't assume it is cycled, unless something destabilized the Bacteria enough to kill a large proportion of it. Did you add a large ammount of fish in the past few weeks or so?

-Also, an exact stock of fish would be very appreciated to help us consider if any of these fish might be causing excessive amounts of bio-load.

-Finally, when did you purchase this test kit, and did you check for an expiring date or anything of such notice?

As said, the question's asked previously are for a base analysis. Also,:

-Do you Vacuum the Gravel/Sand?

-What Filtration do you use(And what type of Media)

Yes I Siphon the sand.

I am using a Marineland 350.

Not sure what you mean by media....

-If you are having ammonia this high, I wouldn't assume it is cycled, unless something destabilized the Bacteria enough to kill a large proportion of it. Did you add a large ammount of fish in the past few weeks or so?

-Also, an exact stock of fish would be very appreciated to help us consider if any of these fish might be causing excessive amounts of bio-load.

-Finally, when did you purchase this test kit, and did you check for an expiring date or anything of such notice?

I have added fish yes. I have one jack Dempsey, one snapper, one pleco, one parrot, one Oscar, 2 reed fish, and one catfish.

I got the test kit 3 days ago. Not expired for a while

I have added fish yes. I have one jack Dempsey, one snapper, one pleco, one parrot, one Oscar, 2 reed fish, and one catfish.

I got the test kit 3 days ago. Not expired for a while
Ok, well before someone start's getting mad at you(yup it happens...), I'll warn you right away. You are *Way* overstocked. Gonna put this gently. Oscar's have a HUGE, and when I say huge, I mean Huge Bio load, and this might even be the source of the problem. Adding to that, two oscars together isn't an ideal mix at all. A jack dempsey and an Oscar fish isn't a good mix either, although people say it can work, the worst case scenario is that they kill eachother. If the pleco you have is a common pleco, the problem only get's worst, with it's huge bio-load, and it's tendency to "lick" off other fish's slime coat, witch could very well irritate the oscar's, and they will take care of the pleco, and trust me, it won't be pretty.
Now for the snapper fish, if we're talking about an actual one, those things get huge, talking 14", almost as big as the oscar's(~16") and require approximately 200 GALLONS o_o! Cat fish require immense aquariums(depending on the type) and usually have an immense bio-load! Reed fish are, aswell huge fish, and require at least 50 gallon's to themselves.
*EDIT* The filter you have has no where near the capacity, nor the GPH, nor the proper filtration "TECHNIQUE" to handle this much Bio-Load, witch is innapropriate for this tank size anyways.
You could not house half of these fish, not the third, not the quarter, not the fifth, ect... in a 60 gallon tank. Sorry to break it to you, but you have an emergency...:/

Ok, well before someone start's getting mad at you(yup it happens...), I'll warn you right away. You are *Way* overstocked. Gonna put this gently. Oscar's have a HUGE, and when I say huge, I mean Huge Bio load, and this might even be the source of the problem. Adding to that, two oscars together isn't an ideal mix at all. A jack dempsey and an Oscar fish isn't a good mix either, although people say it can work, the worst case scenario is that they kill eachother. If the pleco you have is a common pleco, the problem only get's worst, with it's huge bio-load, and it's tendency to "lick" off other fish's slime coat, witch could very well irritate the oscar's, and they will take care of the pleco, and trust me, it won't be pretty.
Now for the snapper fish, if we're talking about an actual one, those things get huge, talking 14", almost as big as the oscar's(~16") and require approximately 200 GALLONS o_o! Cat fish require immense aquariums(depending on the type) and usually have an immense bio-load! Reed fish are, aswell huge fish, and require at least 50 gallon's to themselves.
*EDIT* The filter you have has no where near the capacity, nor the GPH, nor the proper filtration "TECHNIQUE" to handle this much Bio-Load, witch is innapropriate for this tank size anyways.
You could not house half of these fish, not the third, not the quarter, not the fifth, ect... in a 60 gallon tank. Sorry to break it to you, but you have an emergency...:/

I'm planning on upgrading down the road. They are all smaller still

I'm planning on upgrading down the road. They are all smaller still
I will add that it is still over stocked, even though they are babies, and these specimen's are incompatible, and will only be a matter of time. I suggest re-housing urgently, and only keeping *3* at most. The oscars produce a large amount of waste, and are probably your biggest problem right now. The stock is what's causing the spike, IMO.

I will add that it is still over stocked, even though they are babies, and these specimen's are incompatible, and will only be a matter of time. I suggest re-housing urgently, and only keeping *3* at most. The oscars produce a large amount of waste, and are probably your biggest problem right now. The stock is what's causing the spike, IMO.

Ok will def start looking into that. Thanks

Ok will def start looking into that. Thanks
Good luck, also, I suggest Vacuuming the gravel(everything) and also doing a 75% water change, waiting an hour or two, and testing again. Hopefully, it should have diminished. You might have to water change more often then you expect due to the high amount's of waste produced by the fish you are currently housing.

You only need to feed fish 1x a day period.

I agree you need to rehome most of the fish but will not harp on this. It doesn't matter they are all small.

What is your ph? If you ph is 6.5 it will slow a cycle which will raise the ammonia level. If it falls to 6.0 or lower your BB stops working and ammonia raises even more.

You only need to feed fish 1x a day period.

I agree you need to rehome most of the fish but will not harp on this. It doesn't matter they are all small.

What is your ph? If you ph is 6.5 it will slow a cycle which will raise the ammonia level. If it falls to 6.0 or lower your BB stops working and ammonia raises even more.

My ph is 7.2. Nitrite is 0. Nitrate is 0.

My ph is 7.2. Nitrite is 0. Nitrate is 0.
If you see no presence of Nitrate and/or nitrite, then this tank is most likely not cycled, and I would "urge" you to find cycled media at the quickest to help you control the ammonia in the tank. You could find some at your local pet shop, or you can buy some online. The pet shop isn't the best idea, but can always help:)

If you see no presence of Nitrate and/or nitrite, then this tank is most likely not cycled, and I would "urge" you to find cycled media at the quickest to help you control the ammonia in the tank. You could find some at your local pet shop, or you can buy some online. The pet shop isn't the best idea, but can always help:)

I thought you were supposed to have 0....

How long has this tank been set up? You should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some amount of nitrates. This shows a tank is cycled!

Back
Top Bottom