Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I checked the expatriation date on my API kit and it says good until Dec. of 2017 so I don't think it is bad. Todays readings are PH low test 7.6, PH high test 8.0, Ammonia .50 after being dosed to 4 yesterday, Nitrite is 5, Nitrate is 160.
I did an internet search on API ammonia test results and found a lot of people can't get readings below .25. Some of them had tanks that had been set up for a year. I am beginning to think that it is a problem with the test reading something else besides ammonia. I turned my heater down to 77 and didn't add more ammonia. I will take another reading tomorrow and if it is still around .50 I am going to do a massive water change to get the nitrites and nitrate down then add my 4 shrimp and 2 mollies. I will just keep a daily check on my water and adjust as necessary. I am going to order some Seagram's Prime. The local pet store doesn't have it. They only have Safe Start and it is sky high. I can get that for half the price at Walmart. I started out using that and cheeped out . Lesson learned.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Imp i would wait until you get your levels under control. You could put alot of stress on the fish or even kill them. Try to find the source of your problem, doing water changes might not do the trick.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

My ammonia finally zeroed out yesterday. Nitrites are falling and Nitrates are off the chart. I just wasn't being patient enough LOL I am going to keep dosing ammonia back to 2 and when I get three days of of it going to zero, then I will transfer fish. I am looking at getting another filter because my Whisper HOB got way noisy and nothing will quiet it down. The place I ordered has a 60 day return policy so I am going to order another filter through them and set it up with my current filter media inside and then return the Whisper. Or at least that is the plan. Lets hope the store agrees.

Tags
ammonia, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com