Ammonia remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The space in your aquaclear would be better put to use with bio max instead. Ammonia remover and carbon are a waste of space. Use the carbon if your removing meds or toxins. If your tank isn't cycled do 50% water change daily or every second day depending on tank size and stocking level. Get a liquid test kit and not strips. Strips are useless.

Agree with Jmunroe, the best ammonia remover is beneficial bacteria in the filter media. Get some more sponge of ceramic rings. Water changes will keep the ammonia down in the mean time while the bacteria colonizes. Definitely get yourself a liquid test kit ASAP. Also, make sure you are changing 30-50% of your water weekly or biweekly depending on your stocking. The best thing to do is find out why you have high ammonia first.

It the moment I have a sponge, ammonia remover and bio max (starting from bottom to top). I have taken out the charcoal. Also I have bought another sponge. I can't find a testing kit anywhere but I'm going downtown tomorrow so wish me luck with finding one.
So what is the best combination?

Just as a note, depending on what you're stocking I always keep 100 grams of carbon in my filter (and replace it every month), I find it helps to keep away any smells etc that may occur.

I had at the bottom, sponge then charcoal then bio max. Someone told me I should remove the charcoal and add another sponge. However, now I have an ammonia remover instead of the charcoal. Which is best?

Use sponge, biomax, then another biomax in your filter stack up. Never replace any until it is falling apart. Rinse it out as required to keep it from clogging. Which shouldn't be too often. I leave mine months without touching them and have great water parameters according to API master kit and my 25 years of using them. Take your extra sponge cut it to a suitable length, make a slit in one end and slide it over the pointed intake inside the tank. Clean this sponge often.. every water change if you want too. This sponge over the intake will help keep your filter nice and clean so you don't have to disturb your beneficial bacteria colony inside your filter as much. If your tank smells to the point that carbon will help, your over feeding and not doing enough or large enough water changes. This is the best way to use the aquaclear power filter.

When you do clean the sponge and 2 biomax(or 3 whatever you can stuff in there for biomax do it) make sure to use water taken from your tank. Give the sponge a few good squeezes and lightly swish the biomax back and forth just to remove any big debris. Don't be too rough or clean with it. The biomax or whatever bio media you use is the life blood of your enclosed Eco system and keeps your fish alive between water changes. Handle it like eggs. Test your water with a liquid test kit and after your tank has cycled, do a 50% water change when your nitrates hit 20ppm. You should do a little research on the nitrogen cycle of an aquarium and fully understand it, that will make your aquarium keeping experience so much better.

Back
Top Bottom