Ammonia Rising! Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
120 gallon tank that's been running for almost 4 weeks now. I thought it had cycled about 2 and a half weeks ago because ammonia had risen to about .25-,5 ppm, And then nitrates appeared and then ammonia eventually went down to 0. I never saw any nitrites But I tested ammonia today and yesterday and it's hovering around .25 ppm. It's not like there is a heavy load it's just some tetras couple minnows and 2 corys. Any ideas of what's going on or what I should do? I was getting ready to fully stock but I guess I'll have to wait. Is .25 ppm really dangerous even though it's very low?

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? Also what is your ph? During cycling it's common for ph to fall and if ph falls to 6.5 or below biological activity slows and if it falls to 6 or below biological activity stops and BB begin to die off. This would then cause ammonia to begin to show up.

Are you doing weekly WC's and if so how much are you changing out?

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia? Also what is your ph? During cycling it's common for ph to fall and if ph falls to 6.5 or below biological activity slows and if it falls to 6 or below biological activity stops and BB begin to die off. This would then cause ammonia to begin to show up.

Are you doing weekly WC's and if so how much are you changing out?

PH is about 7.5. And no ammonia in the tap water I have tested it

It's rather odd your having ammonia but as long as it is no higher than .25ppm it's fairly safe but I'd do a WC to lower it myself. A couple fish added to a large tank isn't enough to cause an ammonia spike. Have you tested for nitrites again? Your just going to have to watch the ammonia and nitrite readings. As long as you monitor readings and do WC's as needed (when ammonia or nitrites get above .25ppm) you can slowly start stocking.

Ok thanks! I've been doing a 25% water change about every other day now. I gonna wait till next Wednesday to stock it now.

Back
Top Bottom